Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm cleaning pennies for excitement. Please tell me I'm the only one that's gotten skunked the past 4-5 hunts and I'm just in the wrong spot....because I'm good with that. Lol. Hope spring break is warm here in LA or I'll have to resort to trash picking lol. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457901753.175365.jpg

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth I've gone as long as 10 to 12 hunts without any keepers....maybe change up your hunting grounds for a few outings and it'll break the dry spell.

Regards + HH

Bill

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm still looking at 2ft of ice for another month Cobra, a skunk hunt or two is looking pretty good to me right now!
Just go look at some of those awesome finds of yours to keep you going!
Next one's the one!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beach finds have slowed a bit down here too.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm betting the water is just too cold and the beach has been pounded. Maybe it's sanded in too. Don't sweat it though, as we all go through droughts.

After a few unsuccessful hunts for caches, jewelry, gold nuggets, meteorites, etc I will go hit some parks that have produced for me. -- Sometimes you need some easy "wins" to make sure you and your equipment are doing well. A good test garden will also help to boost your confidence as you can make sure everything is working as it should be.

My guess is everything is fine, just more that you're in a slump. You didn't get that many crusty pennies by accident... Keep swinging and stay optimistic, as the good finds WILL return, it's just a matter of time. And remember; a "bad" day of detecting is still better than a day spent toiling at work!

OP
OP
redcobra8u

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm betting the water is just too cold and the beach has been pounded. Maybe it's sanded in too. Don't sweat it though, as we all go through droughts.

After a few unsuccessful hunts for caches, jewelry, gold nuggets, meteorites, etc I will go hit some parks that have produced for me. -- Sometimes you need some easy "wins" to make sure you and your equipment are doing well. A good test garden will also help to boost your confidence as you can make sure everything is working as it should be.

My guess is everything is fine, just more that you're in a slump. You didn't get that many crusty pennies by accident... Keep swinging and stay optimistic, as the good finds WILL return, it's just a matter of time. And remember; a "bad" day of detecting is still better than a day spent toiling at work!

It's all good. Appreciate the words of encouragement....I'm just trying to be funny.

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah - I went out this morning and saw nothing but sanded fluff. Was lucky on walk out pulled a silver necklace with pendant in dry up by shower while rinsing off the detector. Did later find a small (like 40 foot wide small) pocket. Maybe 10 coins but lucky with small 1.2g 10k ring. Was happy with lucky gold and silver. But in general the whole LA area has been dismal lately

WestGhost

Mar 7, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
ace 250, AT Pro, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would think with this whole El Nino thing we would be hearing more success stories around here. The sand around here is at the lowest point I have seen in 10 years and still I've been pulling up mostly can slaw and crusty pennies. Most of my good finds have been recent drops in the dry sand. Some of the beaches I hit are down 10-12 feet exposing highly mineralized black sand. A slow swing speed is key-

OP
OP
redcobra8u

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would think with this whole El Nino thing we would be hearing more success stories around here. The sand around here is at the lowest point I have seen in 10 years and still I've been pulling up mostly can slaw and crusty pennies. Most of my good finds have been recent drops in the dry sand. Some of the beaches I hit are down 10-12 feet exposing highly mineralized black sand. A slow swing speed is key-

I agree. Seen some awesome cuts that have been sterile. Surprisingly few finds. We must be at the recession sand levels lol.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
No, I just get there before you do. I'm a nocturnal creature... Aside from cherry shaped bikini bottoms I'd MUCH rather hunt in the worst of weather conditions. Odds are you just got beat to the punch

Last edited:

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, Did you read my recent post?? Look for Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance. I think we hunt at the same beaches. I got really lucky last Sunday. Not an everyday find. Check it out. The same day I found it my bud pulled out an 18k ring and my other bud pulled out a 64 rosie. It was good for all of us.. Sorry to hear you're not doing good but your luck will change.. I was in the slumps too. Then I found it.... HH GFP

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Im up in Santa Barbara and its the same up here. Some beaches look like moon scapes. No sand just rocks and gravel. Im better off digging with a pick ax to get through the rocks. Lots of old brass, copper and aluminum junk. No luck with the neg. Tides. Its like the beaches have been flushed clean. Good luck and in time it will get better, I hope.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day you get skunked the next day ..... Bang you hit it!:dontknow: Often referred to "every beep is like a scratch ticket"
My good friend called from N.E. told me that N of LA should be checked out (thanks Lep)! Funny happy right where I'm at!

Red, next time you are up north to the central coast PM me! :skullflag:

Black sand is extreme its nuts very heavy fine rich 6 to 12 inch all over the beach hiding finds:laughing7: thinking about setting up a sifter and panning for gold.................. It's there some where!!

Attachments

• pennys.JPG
    pennys.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 99
  • goods.JPG
    goods.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 96

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
redcobra8u, I'm in the same boat.

So I've decided to just take it easy for a few weeks, "chill out" and ponder the slim pickins.

Spring is almost here.....I love Spring hunting!:headbang:

Friends, please allow me a bit of humor with this pic.....no, it's not me...really :hello:

Lorraine

Attachments

• old-lady-smoking-cigar.jpg
    old-lady-smoking-cigar.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 92

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove two hours this last Sunday to a lake,found a spot that many people frequent and spent 6 hours in the water for 11 lead sinker and two modern coins

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
I'm starting to hope for a junk ring just to remember what ring in my scoop looks like. On the bright side the Spring break crowds are growing. I got $2.55 in clad hunting dry sand for about 2 hours. Which beats the $.87 I got 2 weeks ago.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
It's still out there. I figure 85% of MDer's in So Cal hit the sand and maybe go into their calf or knee height. What that leaves is the 15%'er's like me who go chest or shoulder deep on a low tide... I'll take the average low tide, and then go beyond where others care to... When I see a detectorist with Nike shoes and a cell phone strapped to his/her waist I know I have no competition.

since January : unnamed.jpg Not including a kicker that I sold for 1/2 a mortgage payment :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread