Hunting the Neuse

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
The other day me and N.Y Rob finally got our schedules insync! We both had high hopes to find a few Yankee or Rebel war relics around Rob’s neighborhood as he lives right behind the front lines for the Battle of New Bern N.C. Since we just started daylight savings time here in the east, so me and Rob had a few hours of daylight to poke around the area after work. We hit the back acre of his house for a few minutes with nothing to show, then decided to hit the beach along the Neuse River.
DSC00466.JPG
The beach starts at the end of his lane and once during the war had the remnants of a 4 Gun shore battery. Just downriver are the front lines anchored by Fort Thompson which today sports a subdivision. Hopes were high as N.Y Rob’s father in law talks of his childhood days when the locals would roll cannonballs home from the river during low tide, and as luck would have it today was a unusually low evening tide. Also, N.Y.Rob has found CW pipe bowls, and lead poker chips among other period pieces right on the shore.
DSC00468.JPG
My Excalibur worked excellent on the Neuse and penetrated deep into the muck, finding stuff a foot and a half down. The matrix was a few inches of muck, 6 inches of sand, then clay. I’d love to tell you I found some relics, but only a fired bullet was found and that was on the shore in the river bank. However, I think with a little luck and perseverance a arty shot will be pulled someday. I’ll keep you posted!

Attachments

• DSC00466.JPG
    DSC00466.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC00468.JPG
    DSC00468.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 298

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread