Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After last week’s token find, I once again went out into the wild in search of the wily one. But this time I did my homework. Researching online for hours, pouring through tomes of ancient lore, and repeated watching of Caddyshack, started filling in some of the missing pieces. And the conclusion of all this effort was simple. To capture a token, you must think like a token. Be the token. The token is, for the most part, troglodytic, burrowing deep into the ground. They tend to congregate in close proximity to various metal objects, most notably small iron nails. Why is not fully known. They can also be what’s known as “shape shifters”, changing into readings of anywhere from “pull tabs”, to “zinc pennies”. The larger, more mature tokens can occasionally be read as “penny, dime”, but are rarely found in this format. Ah, but where to hunt. “The Dark One”, with his newly formed pact with Satan had been laying waste to the downtown area, so new areas had to be found. Could the mountains be sanctuary? I had to find out. So, after fortifying myself with bowls of Capt. Crunch goodness, and filling the tank with gas, I left Denver. I picked an area that I once had luck in, and old mining community area just West of Denver. Arriving at noon, I set to work. I was alone up in the mountains, no winos, no junkies, and no people with more piercings than Custer's body. It was just a beautiful day. Using the DFX with the tiny 4x6 coil, I started searching an area that was loaded with sheets of tin, tons of old, broken glass, but more importantly, iron nails. The token's haven. Even with the small coil, the hunting was frustrating. The token is an elusive animal, preferring the cool, damp, darkness of the soil, to the warm rays of the sun. But this was “Mano a Metal”, and he would be mine. After about an hour of hunting, I got a signal that fluctuated between “pull tab”, and “zinc” Did I catch one in mid transformation? I quickly dug out a large scoop of soil and turned it over. Victory! Preventing him from scurrying away, I quickly snatched him up. He is a young one, octagonal, and worth 2 and half cents. Not fully matured into a “5, 12 and half, or even 25 cents”, but beautiful none the less. Made of brass, about 20 millimeters wide, he is from the Cooper Bldg. Bar, 17th and Curtis, Denver. Several are known from this location, but this is the only brass octagonal known so far. The location was a saloon in 1909, changing later into a cigar store. The only other item found worth mentioning is a brass plated tin candy spoon from about the same era, with the name “Lowney” embossed on the handle. After a field dressing, it came out beautiful, with a rich dark patina. He will be mounted with loving care, only befitting a worthy opponent.

Attachments

• Cooper Token#1.jpg
    Cooper Token#1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 292
  • Cooper#2.jpg
    Cooper#2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 312
  • Cooper#3.jpg
    Cooper#3.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 310
  • caddyshack01.jpg
    caddyshack01.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 275
Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
AHHHH...I would love to hunt in between next to you guys from CO ....just to listen to the narrative of my hunt...(play by play of course)....

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Carl,
I can almost see you hunting with Bill Murray!

Congrats on the Token! Very Cool!

"I'm Alright, don't nobody worry 'bout me..............."

Good Luck,
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread