Hunting Today

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stepped out for a little while this morning to do a little digging at the doctor's home I have been concentrating on. Found a few broken pieces of bottles and stoneware. I also found this little shard that just happened to contain some of the evidence i've been wanting to see. Amazing how this pottery broke in just the right place for me be to be able to read the maker. Surf, thought you might get a "kick" from this little piece.

image-3279193758.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bass,

How right you are. This one is an indicator of some good age. I always try to pick up the back marks...

"CLEMENTSON, Joseph (1794-1871), pottery manufacturer, Hanley.

Joseph Clementson was born on 15 July 1794 at Carrigill, Cumberland. He came to the Potteries in 1811 and worked first as a collier, In 1820 he apprenticed himself to J. and W. Ridgway, and by 1832 was able to set up his own business at the Phoenix Works, Shelton, in partnership with Jonah Reed.

The partnership ended in 1839. JC continued on his own, enlarging the works in 1845 and also buying the Bell Works in 1856. Early on in his partnership with Reed JC had travelled to Canada, and this laid the foundation for a successful commercial career. He retired from business in 1867 in favour of his four sons and his son-in-law, Edward Baxter, minister at Bethesda chapel, Hanley, who had married his youngest daughter Lucy.

JC served as chief bailiff of Hanley 1849-51, being unsuccessful in his promotion of the adoption by Hanley of the Public Health Act. He was an early advocate of amalgamation of the Potteries towns.

He married Martha Phillips in 1816 and had eight children. He was a member of Bethesda New Connexion church. He died at Prospect House, Shelton, in 1871. His name is continued in Clementson's Mill car park, off Clough Street, Hanley.
Francis Clementson, in 1834 a contractor of Joiners' Square, Hanley, and an elder brother of JC, is buried in Bethesda churchyard." J Clementson

OP
OP
Bass

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked around for that hallmark but couldn't find it. Somehow, i knew you would. I think the old doctor's house has some good age to it. Thanks for your help, again. Vernon, Jackson Parish, July 28, 1860

"To reach Vernon, the parish seat of Jackson, the traveler must leave the stage of Vienna, and take a private conveyance to that place, sixteen miles distant. Vernon, is a pleasant little burgh of some three or four hundred inhabitants, Joseph R. Ryan, Esqr., Mayor. It is located on a knobby, knolly, hilly piece of ground, and is a rather picturesque settlement, with its courthouse occupying a hill in the center - a capitol line mount; its churches, Methodist and Baptist; its residences on hill and in dale with ground running back to adjoining forest, or broadening into wide and beautiful fields."

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunt yesterday.... finally got cut loose and drove down to the "job site"... they'd been moving some dirt around, big pile kind of fresh looking and promising... I literally stepped out of the truck and it started to rain... big drops, then it rained harder, I sat in the truck for almost an hour waiting... it rained 2 1/2" and I watched the dirt pile turn into a pile of mud...the rest of it was a foot under water... if I didn't drive a beastly truck I wouldn't have made it back out of town.

Went to another quick walk to spot in a light drizzle and found this one, or two... any help with an ID would be appreciated, I'm thinking Dispensary for sure! :laughing7:
Nice lip though.... for sale to the highest bidder (pun intended)!

Attachments

• 0713 068.jpg
    0713 068.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 0713 069.jpg
    0713 069.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 0713 070.jpg
    0713 070.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 89

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread