Hunting up The Mountain Bushmanshoek Boerwar 1899 to 1902

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Last weekend I decided that it was time to attempt something different, thus I loaded up the wife, the two Jack Russel dogs Jenna and Scott and of course my Minelab Soverein GT, not forgetting the paw paw and coca cola and ice. First had to go and fill the tank up with some fuel, no use going venturing off into the countryside with a half tank of gas, we then left Queenstown and travelled towards Sterkstroon that is +- 70km from Queenstown, just phoned the farmer in advance to tell him that we were going hunting on his farm again, he was not even there, another reason why he does not mind us going to his farm is because it helps to prevent stock theft if there is movement on his farm, his farm is over 3000 hectars in size, consisting of mountains, valleys and beautiful scenary.

Thus we eventually arrived at the gate to enter his farm, luckily this time round it was open, he did not have any sheep stock in this section, thus we just drove through, this is when I switched on the ARB air locker compressor that I have installed in my truck, this compressor pumps up a small cylinder which fills up with air, this air is used to activate the front and rear diff locks that I have on my truck, when the tank is fill, the compressor will switch off automatically. We then took a route towards this small mountian that we could see in the far distance, when we had closed another gate, I asked my wife to lock the front wheel hubs, you have to do this in some 4x4 vehicle's so that you can get direct 4x4 mode when you select the gears in the cab, my truck also has a Marlin Crawler kit fitted, for thoughs of you who do not know what this is, it is basically a unit that I bought from America, a sort of special adapter plate and a few gears, a person then takes another transfer case and seperates it and used a section of it with the adapter plate to join my existing transfer box to this extra section, with this modification it gives my truck a super low range gearing which is very suitable for off-road conditions. Now inside my cab I now have four gear levers, two are known as Twin sticks, I then selected the correct gears, high range for now and we then took the best route across this valley and eventually arrived at the foot of this mountain that we had to climb, now to just give you a brief idea, there used to be a track that lead to the top of this mountain, however it was built over 100 years ago and due to soil erosion, time and a boundry fence that has been erected half way up the mountain across the existing track, it was not possible to even attempt to even try and use it, at the foot of the mounatin, this section of the track was completely washed away. Thus after looking at the mountain slope for a while, I then selected lwo range 4x4, activated both lockers front and rear and slowly made my way up the mountain slope, basically in a straight line, driving up slopes at side angles is scary, but it sure gets your blood flowing.

3320067638_5169e08116.jpg

Will continue next page

Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are from South Africa.....me, from South Korea. Will have some posts as soon as I get a nice camera that can download.....I hope I do it half as well as you......great post, lovely pictures that captured the essence of the country you are hunting. And some great finds.
Has anyone found any coins from that time frame? Or I.D. tags, stating the name of the soldier? Keep posting. You are doing a fabulous job. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
Hi Africa ,Thanks for sharing and that small wheel is a adjustable air vent off a British helment i believe

tinpan

Correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread