Hunting with Dad

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad was itchin to join me so we went out this morning. It was calm enough to spot one in a few inches of water. The wind picked up and we found several more sifting. I would love input about the style of points and the materials used. Especially the clear one(quartz?)
photo.JPG
The water had lots of junk on the surface. How good are your eyes?!
20130530_192147.jpg
20130530_124354.jpg

Attachments

• 20130530_124354.jpg
    20130530_124354.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You saved some nice ones- Not up to speed on types from your area but they look great.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I saw in that first pic was a fishing lure. The points are great finds. Which ones did you find while sifting? I might have to try that if you keep that up.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I saw in that first pic was a fishing lure. The points are great finds. Which ones did you find while sifting? I might have to try that if you keep that up.
If you still want to spot it...
It looks like a fishing lure!...think it is a willow leaf floating on the surface...the point is in the middle of the photo..maybe 2:00 from the little reddish-colored stone and directly above a shell...got lucky spotting it because the water was murky and my dad and I had already walked across that area once.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to think I am wearing glasses rite now. The bottom one looks Archaic by the notches.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11:00 o'clock cotaco creek 8:00 o'clock maybe a guntersville (never seen quartz that clear around here nice one if not glass) 6:00 o'clock and 5:00 maybe big sandys contracted base and and leighton based. Usually a bifurcated based point in your area is pretty old.

Nice hunt Joe you are in a very good area. *****Also look at Stanlys opposed to Big Sandys and see what you think. Still Archaic still very old. Thats my guess:laughing7:
Glad you got out with your Dad.
Happy hunting
TnMtns

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you out did yourself, because those are some cool finds! :icon_thumleft: That clear quartz point is spectacular!

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11:00 o'clock cotaco creek 8:00 o'clock maybe a guntersville (never seen quartz that clear around here nice one if not glass) 6:00 o'clock and 5:00 maybe big sandys contracted base and and leighton based. Usually a bifurcated based point in your area is pretty old.

Nice hunt Joe you are in a very good area. *****Also look at Stanlys opposed to Big Sandys and see what you think. Still Archaic still very old. Thats my guess:laughing7:
Glad you got out with your Dad.
Happy hunting
TnMtns

Thanks Tn,
I will look in my guide book...there are so many points with similar features and I am still struggling to narrow the range of possible identification. I thought the clear one was a scrap of glass at first...I about tossed it aside, but the shape stopped me...I have only found one piece of quartz(un-worked) that clear in the 3 months looking...any tips on how to determine if it is glass?..there are some small flecks of black peppered through the material and it definitely does not have the same opacity.
and yes..hunting with dad was great and sure to be a lasting memory.
Joe

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always liked when dad tagged along with me I miss those times.Enjoy them while you can you guy's done good on that hunt.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I always liked when dad tagged along with me I miss those times.Enjoy them while you can you guy's done good on that hunt.
Take Care,

Sorry for jumping topic here, but I need to tell Pete something. I'll never forget the night I read of your Dad's passing. It hit me hard, because you remind me of myself and my dad. Joe (Twitch) can vouch for me here. My Dad is on the majority of the hunts I go on, and all of the hunts when Joe comes in. Joe is a great guy full of travels and along with travels come knowledge. Pops enjoys talking with Joe. I have thought about you a lot, wandering how you are doing. I know the day will come that I Must face what you did. I hope that I can roll on as you have. Seems like you guys were close, just as Pops and I.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were buddy,I've got a room full of memories around me it's life.I think I miss the most sending him emails of my finds I found he enjoyed getting them.It's kinda left a gap in my life that I try to fill by sharing with you guy's now.Even though it's not the same & a little hard to get back into with a full swing time seems to heal & life has to go on.Telling Ya, Love the moments you have, they'll come back to ya one day.

Take Care,

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
We were buddy,I've got a room full of memories around me it's life.I think I miss the most sending him emails of my finds I found he enjoyed getting them.It's kinda left a gap in my life that I try to fill by sharing with you guy's now.Even though it's not the same & a little hard to get back into with a full swing time seems to heal & life has to go on.Telling Ya, Love the moments you have, they'll come back to ya one day.

Take Care,

Thanks Pete. You guys made some beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing those memories with us. I respect you and your dad for that.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tn,
I will look in my guide book...there are so many points with similar features and I am still struggling to narrow the range of possible identification. I thought the clear one was a scrap of glass at first...I about tossed it aside, but the shape stopped me...I have only found one piece of quartz(un-worked) that clear in the 3 months looking...any tips on how to determine if it is glass?..there are some small flecks of black peppered through the material and it definitely does not have the same opacity.
and yes..hunting with dad was great and sure to be a lasting memory.
Joe

Doesnt look like glass with the inclusions in it. I believe it is a type of stone. It sure is a nice one.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that in possibly the area you are close to they had contact for some time up until 1779 as I have found a trade axe and pipe up your way. I do not know if it is glass or quartz. Most quartz I find and it is not much is milky. But you were near a heavy trade and travel area so it is possible. Google chief Dragging Canoe and the Chickamauga Cherokees you will see how he traveled from your area and beyond in battle and formed the confederacy
. Good stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread