Hunting with the grandkids

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Going to visit 3 of my 12 grandkids that I have not seen in 2+ years. Finally going to take them the wheat cent & lincoln memorials collections that I've been hunting through for the past 3-years. Folders 2+3 will be totally filled, in time I will retrieve my older cents that I had collected back in the 60's, so folder #1 will fill up at about 75% complete. Hope they enjoy the hobby that I have over the years. Don't want to push it on them, but let them learn gradually. I also hope to pickup a few boxes of dimes on the way, just to show how grampa has been hunting for SILVER the hard/or/easy way, depends on how much is found. After all, they have the rest of their lives to hunt, just being ages 7,7,10; they could accumulate some large numbers in time.

Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to visit 3 of my 12 grandkids that I have not seen in 2+ years. Finally going to take them the wheat cent & lincoln memorials collections that I've been hunting through for the past 3-years. Folders 2+3 will be totally filled, in time I will retrieve my older cents that I had collected back in the 60's, so folder #1 will fill up at about 75% complete. Hope they enjoy the hobby that I have over the years. Don't want to push it on them, but let them learn gradually. I also hope to pickup a few boxes of dimes on the way, just to show how grampa has been hunting for SILVER the hard/or/easy way, depends on how much is found. After all, they have the rest of their lives to hunt, just being ages 7,7,10; they could accumulate some large numbers in time.

From one grandfather (who has had the same idea in mind) to another, you're getting them off to a great start.........wish there was a "hat's off" emoticon for you..............or could give you more than one "like"...............................

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We'll the visit with the gran kids is going fine, but the interest in the CRH & cents folders is not there, maybe another time when they get much older, and if I'm still around. Til then I'll keep hoarding coppers/silver & saving/searching for wheaties.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll the visit with the gran kids is going fine, but the interest in the CRH & cents folders is not there, maybe another time when they get much older, and if I'm still around. Til then I'll keep hoarding coppers/silver & saving/searching for wheaties.

Good to hear your visit is going well.........time well spent when enjoying the company of family.

Out of our 5 grandkids (18, 16, 6, 4 and 2), only one seems to have that "collector" tendency......the 4 year old. So, I took her to the LCS last week. The ladies there allowed me to get the large box of foreign coins (5 for $1) out and we occupied a small area on the floor for about 10 minutes..........she had a ball. After picking out her 5 coins, the ladies helped with a few more tokens, wooden nickels and a 2009 Lincoln in a 2x2..........there's more to this story, but I'll stop here by saying that the trip made an impression on her. Only time will tell if it was a lasting one..............

Maybe a different approach will work for your grandkids............?

PS: The State Quarter collections I did for the 2 oldest last Christmas were met with a "Gee, thanks, Pop-Pop"..........and that was that...........:icon_scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Chintzy: thanks for the reassurance, from one grandfather to another, also, "HAPPY FATHER's DAY".

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, on the name spelling, didn't proof check: thanks CHIZZY

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chintzy: thanks for the reassurance, from one grandfather to another, also, "HAPPY FATHER's DAY".

Sorry, on the name spelling, didn't proof check: thanks CHIZZY

I share your desire to pass our hobby on to the next generation and have tried several approaches. Hoping one will take hold and stick.............and, you have a good Father's Day, too...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread