Hurricane of 1889

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I work in a Resort Hotel at Disney and found a Harper's Weekly newspaper framed on the 2nd floor of the Boardwalk Inn. It was the aftermath of a 1889 Hurricane that destroyed the water front of Atlantic City and also grounded a Sailing ship. I don't think it sank but merely grounded. I haven't found any information attesting to the ships destruction. I thought it was an interesting item to share with other TH'ers. I found this article as well:
Tidal’ waves at Jersey Shore during 1889 hurricane
Nearly 125 years ago, an unnamed hurricane caused “considerable damage” along the Atlantic coast, according to the National Weather Service.
A sudden and damaging “tidal wave” hit the Jersey Shore on Sept. 10, 1889 as the hurricane remained nearly stationary offshore, according to the weather service Mount Holly Office.
Also that day, a 100 mph wind gust from the northeast was measured in Atlantic City, according to the weather service.
Around Sept. 9, 1889, the hurricane moved northwest toward New Jersey, coming within 150 miles of Atlantic City before becoming nearly stationary for four days, according to the weather service. A “tidal wave” appeared on Sept. 8.
“The storm, one of the greatest to affect the shore and ocean,” headed southwest toward Norfolk, VA, and dissipated, according to the weather service.
“Considerable hurricane damage occurred along the Atlantic coast, as well as shipwrecks with loss of life,” according to the weather service.
Twenty-nine ships sank in Delaware Bay, killing at least 31 sailors, according to the weather service. Overall, 40 people died as a result of the hurricane.
‘Tidal’ waves at Jersey Shore during 1889 hurricane | EnviroGuyEnviroGuy

Attachments

• 1889 Hurricane - Atlantic City.jpg
    1889 Hurricane - Atlantic City.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 1889 Hurricane - Atlantic Citya.jpg
    1889 Hurricane - Atlantic Citya.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 1889 Hurricane - Atlantic Cityb.jpg
    1889 Hurricane - Atlantic Cityb.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 1889 Hurricane - Atlantic City wreck.jpg
    1889 Hurricane - Atlantic City wreck.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would be cool to follow up on an see if anything is there .

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for your very interesting post, FLauthor. :hello2: I love history!

The postcards tell the story also.

I think I see 2 metal detectorists in the second postcard ?

Maybe time for me to head down to the Jersey Shoreline8-)

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread