Murrell gang

Aug 16, 2011
Jackson , Tenn
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,bounty hunter tracker 4,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hurst's worst

In middle and west Tennessee, the regular Union army unit by far the most notorious for violence was the Sixth Tenn cavalry Regiment (Union) commanded by Col. Fielding Hurst.Colonel Hurst, a man remarkable for his autocratic audacity and cruelty, was a homegrown Yankee as others in the area called him. Operating primarily between Memphis and the Tennessee river,Hurst devoted much of his energies to stopping Forrest, an enterprise in which he was consistently unsuccessful. In September of 1863, Hurst's regiment participated in the looting of Jackson,Tennessee. Although he blamed the misbehavior on other units, the union army's investigation placed the blame on him and his regiment and levied a fine of $5,139.25 , the amount of damages the government had paid the owner of a looted millinery store. The money was to be withheld form his regiment's payroll until all was repaid to the government. The following February on his own Hurst seized Jackson and demanded payment of the amount his regiment had been fined, threatening to burn the downtown area if money was not paid. The town's leading citizens raised the money and delivered it as promised, but Hurst still angry with his innocent victims had the downtown burned anyway and cut the well ropes so the citizens couldn't fight the fire.

Upvote 0

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Re: Hurst's worst

Alright buddy, where in West Tennessee are you from. Folks from McNairy Co recall Hurst and what he did to Purdy quite well. Although he lived in the town Hurst and his men burned down the homes of the Confederate leaning citizens of the town. You know, those who had sons serving or killed in service to the Confederacy or those know to support the Rebels. Forrest arrived the day after the burning and the wife of Fielding Hurst feared for her life and that of her sons. Forrest posted guards at her home and ordered them to shoot anyone who tried to burn the home or harm any of Hurst family. Forrest allegedly told Hurst wife that he did not make war on Women and children but if he ever had the chance he would kill her husband with no hesitation what so ever.
If you have not check out the sign in Bethel TN just north of Selmer regarding the "Hurst Nation". Later my fellow Tennesseean.

OP
OP
Murrell gang

Murrell gang

Aug 16, 2011
Jackson , Tenn
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,bounty hunter tracker 4,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nothing against you is just history.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20

Oh no buddy, I was not offended at all!!!! I was just supprised to hear about Fielding Hurst here on T-net. It tends to be a West Tennessee thing and then outside of McNairy Co and Civil War buffs it is just not heard about much. Thanks a lot for posting about it and bringing some attention here, you got mine!!! The history of West Tennessee and the conflict between Hurst and Forrest is the stuff legends are made of. I had folks in the McNatt family that fought in the 21st Tennessee Cav and McNatts who rode with the 6th Tennessee Cav. I have seen the graves at Bethesda Cemetery.
Yes sir History is history and I just thought you must be from Tennessee because you posted about Hurst. No offense here and I apologize if it came across as such.
Thanks for the post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread