Hybrid Pheasant.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Took this on the side of the road. He was frantically running back and forth trying to get through the fence. He could have just flew over, but you know how it is when you're in panic mode.
1f642.png

I posted this picture on a local group page where I live......Here is a response from a local lady that I thought was interesting:

This guy looks like he's only a half-ringneck. There are a bunch of cross bred pheasants that resulted from a trailer load of the birds overturning last spring near Lowell. The birds that escaped were not all ringnecks. Some were copper pheasants, but there may have been other species, as well. We had several birds find their way to our place. Their chick's came out mixed. Some other birds joined them later this summer. Going to have lots of pheasants next year.

Attachments

• 003030.JPG
    003030.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 63

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know? I'm believing I'm seeing hybrid Eurasian dove's around here and they may be mixing with the morning dove's or the many rock pigeons that seem to be increasing in numbers. I'm out in Nevada right now and I saw a dead pheasant along the shoulder of I80 West of Green River. I love hunting those birds.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks off for sure, but seeing only one like that leaves it open to many things; have you seen more of these though.

Also, how do they taste; sure looks like it would go good with some shrimp creole rice mixed in with some spelt stuffin and bacon chunks.

Just saying,

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like this New York bird---- thZALFMKUZ ny.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
They are good eating. There were lots of them on the ranch in Nevada. Fun shooting, and good eating.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Looks off for sure, but seeing only one like that leaves it open to many things; have you seen more of these though.

Also, how do they taste; sure looks like it would go good with some shrimp creole rice mixed in with some spelt stuffin and bacon chunks.

Just saying,
Instead of turkey, we used to have these for Thanksgiving when I was a kid in Oregon. I haven't hunted in years, but the last one I shot must've been really old. Toughest bird I ever ate.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of turkey, we used to have these for Thanksgiving when I was a kid in Oregon. I haven't hunted in years, but the last one I shot must've been really old. Toughest bird I ever ate.

What part of OREGON?

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
What part of OREGON?
I have lived in the Eugene, Cottage Grove, Drain/Yoncalla areas. Last place was south of La Pine......The place I referred to where we had the pheasants was where we lived 9 miles out of Eugene on Lorane Highway. There were lots of pheasants there at that time.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, look at those colors! Nice crisp shot ron. It's been a lot of years since I saw a live ringneck, but he does seem to have a lot of gold color!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just saying,[/QUOTE

You're speakin' my language, Oddjob.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I liked hunting them because they were a gamebird I could actually hit! Definitely in top two for good eating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions