Hypothetical question:

V

Vingamel

I would imagine the rules for this vary from city to city. Contact whoever administers the waterfront, like the Parks department. Nobody here could possibly answer your question. Horses mouth.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
A good example of this might be Starved Rock State Park in Illinois. Signs clearly indicate MD'ing is prohibited throughout the park. The riverfront (Illinois River) along the park border should be assumed off limits as well since the Park Rangers also can have some limited authority along the waterfront. State Conservation Police have authority on the waterway and parks as well.

I hunt the Fox River near my home and while MD'ing is prohibited in the forest preserves along the river I will wade by MD'ing, to the chagrin of a few nutbags but to the actual delight and curious interest of a few FP rangers who rightly think the local prohibition is absurd. The county can't enforce their FP ordinance in the public waterway. The Conservation Police do not usually look twice. Only a few power nuts and nature nazis have confronted me and left with their tails between their legs when I gave them the public service speech.

You never thought so before you started detecting, but this is not a hobby for the timid in a culture where you are supposed to run on designated running trails, bike on designated biking paths, swim at designated swimming spots, and hike on designated trails only. By the time you're done following all the rules, you will be like the rest of herd out there and look down on undesignated and as such unapproved activities and hobbies.

goldther

Nov 30, 2004
il
Detector(s) used
fisher,minelab,fx,2-box
lowbatts, have you ever found native american copper points or native copper items in the fox? bob

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Nope, the closest copper culture finds by MD were between Richmond and Lake Geneva. Would be awesome to locate a few but alas, all my copper is either U.S. mintage or electrical wiring.

R

ranger ricky

since its hypothetical, has anyone had a problem when digging and detected a signal then striking a buried ele. cable?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hit more than a few. One was in a playground being reworked and the city crew ws unaware of it's ancient presence. Pointed it out for them and they were surprised to find it's path and length. Large bundle it was, too. Never got zapped while MD'ing, never cut any cable or lines. Leave that to the demo crews who usually pop the gas lines around here during sidewalk/curb work. Most electric is deeper or higher than they are digging.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Scuba, Snorkle or wading in plain sight? Approach from water? Approach from up or down shore line? Tide considerations? Enter water from posted park area? Lots of questions! Lots of answers! Lots of interpretations of laws or rules! Crime? Infraction? Enforcable? Park Ranger? Law officer? Chewing out? Arrest? Confistication of equipment? Is it worth it? Spotz

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a shame we have to think what we do is wrong .when know one cares that these things rot in the ground any way.used to sneak into a place and go fishing when i was a kid was a urban resivoir
got booted out all the time because i was breaking the law.insteed of running the streets and stealing and breaking the law!now i dig a hole on public land and im breaking the law.land that we all as americans own threw the taxs we pay. so stand up and shout let your displeasure be heard.ive not had any problems yet in my town but have a feeling someone will be watching me and snitch me out for doing what we all have the right to do, MD or not!i just hate having to follow the rest of the flocking SHEEPLE!!!!always done my own thing within the system since i was a kid thought i was wrong, now im glad i was such a free thinker,now i feel guilty about feeling guilty for most of my child"hood"DONT BE LIKE THE REST OF THE SHEEPLE!!!! ;D

brobogus

Greenie
Nov 26, 2004
you can do a search on "national organization for rivers" for the answers to alot of the questions about access to rivers as well as other useful info . not sure how those apply to metal detecting,,, probably depends on park or forrest status.? ?gwilson

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
Just what is Public Land?

I have heard of Federal Lands, State Lands, County Property.
Just where is this so called public land?.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Public Land" Is SUPPOSED to be open to the Public. EXAMPLES, Town Parks, A town Square, Etc. PRETTY much any place you can walk without fear of being run off, for not requesting permission, and usually taken care of by the Town itself. HOWEVER just Remember "Detectorists", are not always considered part of the public any more. in some parts of the country,We're "Aliens from another Galaxy" "trying to "STEAL" the natural resources, & history"

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yeah! Department of parks & recreation is found in just about every city, town& State. Someone asks I say "I am Recreating" ! It's a little hard for them to disprove it. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread