I admit - I'm ADDICTED to Metal Detecting...!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do not think I am addicted but that's my opinion. Maybe from your view you could give me your opinion.
Presenty l I have around $50,000 worth of metal detectors and equipment. I probably have 40 or so metal detectors , I have 4 or 5 file cabnets full of Treasure type magazines and No idea how many books I have a storage building with probably 10,000 books most are of history and war books . or detecting and treasure hunting.I had bought a month or so a book for $275.00 on the History of the great trail. i love reading about local history. I belong to 3 local historical societies. I started detecting in 1968. I started scuba diving in 2020 to do underwater searches ,i probably have 8 or so underwater detectors i am 75 Years old. .My wife thinks i am hooked but i think she is wrong.

WHAT DO YOU all think ???
Sounds like you might be on the path of becoming addicted.
But to admit such an addiction is the first step.

"To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference."

So I'm going with-I can't change it-so I know the difference. So I'm good.:headbang::hello2::laughing7:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, I must admit, that I'm addicted to Metal Detecting...!
I've searched for cures..., but the only remedy seems to be MORE metal detecting...!
(There isn't a MD Annonimus version of the AA in town, either...!)
After I retired, I became in love with the hobby.
And, it was the true and natural transition from a field-going govt. archaeologist, to one who was then paid to do same in the private sector, only this time..., "Coil For Hire", eh? :laughing7:
Getting paid to have fun...?! Yep!
Anyway, all the while involving detecting, whatever I did.
Passport In Time, a USFS program of volunteers, working on wagon trails/roads and Chineese mining camps. Didn't get to keep my finds, but have some pics.... I love the research that goes into finding out how old and what and why of everything!
Oh yeah, there are many examples, only they would better paint a picture of my involvement, my addiction to the hobby...!
There is no cure!
I'm right there with You, eyemustdigtreasure!
I tell My Wife, even though my hands always get dirty it's really a good, clean hobby. 😁
It's gotten Me through a lot of troubling and dark times in My life also.
The intriguing people We meet and the stories are added entertainment too!
The peacefulness, excitement, and thrills of the finds will always keep Me Detecting.
Don't plan on ever breaking this addiction to Detecting!!

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm right there with You, eyemustdigtreasure!
I tell My Wife, even though my hands always get dirty it's really a good, clean hobby. 😁
It's gotten Me through a lot of troubling and dark times in My life also.
The intriguing people We meet and the stories are added entertainment too!
The peacefulness, excitement, and thrills of the finds will always keep Me Detecting.
Don't plan on ever breaking this addiction to Detecting!!
This drug called metal detecting has been a non-prescriptive cure or balm for my pain that I have 24/7

diggun

Greenie
Feb 16, 2022
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX, White's Prism IV, Nokta-Makro Legend
Digging, thinking about digging, editing my detecting videos, cleaning my finds, ordering new gear, checking out new permissions, planning metal detecting trips, and since it's too cold out on the frozen tundra to go detecting right now, watching OTHER people metal detecting LOL!!

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, I must admit, that I'm addicted to Metal Detecting...!
I've searched for cures..., but the only remedy seems to be MORE metal detecting...!
(There isn't a MD Annonimus version of the AA in town, either...!)
After I retired, I became in love with the hobby.
And, it was the true and natural transition from a field-going govt. archaeologist, to one who was then paid to do same in the private sector, only this time..., "Coil For Hire", eh? :laughing7:
Getting paid to have fun...?! Yep!
Anyway, all the while involving detecting, whatever I did.
Passport In Time, a USFS program of volunteers, working on wagon trails/roads and Chineese mining camps. Didn't get to keep my finds, but have some pics.... I love the research that goes into finding out how old and what and why of everything!
Oh yeah, there are many examples, only they would better paint a picture of my involvement, my addiction to the hobby...!
There is no cure!
Great post...I think a lot of us are addicted to metal detecting. I for one have never done drugs, never smoked pot. Never had an addiction for anything until i started swinging a detector and finding things. Its a glimpse into the past. Almost like a time machine...treasures and curiousitys...and lots of junk...right under our very feet. Best hobby on earth. I have told others...I have learned more HISTORY with this hobby in a year, than I learned in total time going to school as a kid.

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you folks had ANY WILL POWER LIKE ME you would not be ADDIHare, give into it, flow with it and share with us the joy you find in life
Great post...I think a lot of us are addicted to metal detecting. I for one have never done drugs, never smoked pot. Never had an addiction for anything until i started swinging a detector and finding things. Its a glimpse into the past. Almost like a time machine...treasures and curiousitys...and lots of junk...right under our very feet. Best hobby on earth. I have told others...I have learned more HISTORY with this hobby in a year, than I learned in total time going to school as a kid.
Great response, thanks!
Yes, the hobby can become a lifestyle for some of us…!

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging, thinking about digging, editing my detecting videos, cleaning my finds, ordering new gear, checking out new permissions, planning metal detecting trips, and since it's too cold out on the frozen tundra to go detecting right now, watching OTHER people metal detecting LOL!!
All that DOES keep you out of Trouble, right...? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread