I almost didn't hunt it......

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Because the owner said someone had already hunted it about 10 years ago. All of the old house yards I have hunted in my home town this year have been picked clean. Not even a wheatie in most of them. But somehow, whoever hunted this one missed a square foot right in the corner of the sidewalk where the walk from the front door meets the walk at the street. I hit a clad dime at 2" first. When I went back over the hole, there was a little tickle of a signal that I passed on because I wasn't sure it was really hitting. 12" away I got a weak signal that was ringing solidly both ways. I went down 2" and saw the glint of silver. It was so small I thought I had a trime at first, then I saw the HALF DIME on the back. It was a well worn 1856. Now I carefully went over the area, listening closely. In the edge of the hole where the clad dime was was a faint signal repeatable in both directions. It sounded just like the half dime. Dare I hope for another? At 5" deep I saw the glint of small silver again. It Is!!!, I thought. Then I got hold of it and saw the ONE DIME on the back. Surely it is seated and dropped along with the half dime, I thought. But it was a Barber, an 1898. I was happy with that for a hunted out yard. I spent the next 4 hours scrubbing the rest of the yard without getting a single wheatie. I did, however get a couple of deep Indian heads, an 1880 and an 1884. Both were 6" or so deep and iffy signals. I had to be right on top of them to read them, so it was easy to see how they had been missed. All in all, it turned out to be one of my better house yards, even if it had been hunted before!
OkeefeFinds.jpg

Upvote 47

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because the owner said someone had already hunted it about 10 years ago. All of the old house yards I have hunted in my home town this year have been picked clean. Not even a wheatie in most of them. But somehow, whoever hunted this one missed a square foot right in the corner of the sidewalk where the walk from the front door meets the walk at the street. I hit a clad dime at 2" first. When I went back over the hole, there was a little tickle of a signal that I passed on because I wasn't sure it was really hitting. 12" away I got a weak signal that was ringing solidly both ways. I went down 2" and saw the glint of silver. It was so small I thought I had a trime at first, then I saw the HALF DIME on the back. It was a well worn 1856. Now I carefully went over the area, listening closely. In the edge of the hole where the clad dime was was a faint signal repeatable in both directions. It sounded just like the half dime. Dare I hope for another? At 5" deep I saw the glint of small silver again. It Is!!!, I thought. Then I got hold of it and saw the ONE DIME on the back. Surely it is seated and dropped along with the half dime, I thought. But it was a Barber, an 1898. I was happy with that for a hunted out yard. I spent the next 4 hours scrubbing the rest of the yard without getting a single wheatie. I did, however get a couple of deep Indian heads, an 1880 and an 1884. Both were 6" or so deep and iffy signals. I had to be right on top of them to read them, so it was easy to see how they had been missed. All in all, it turned out to be one of my better house yards, even if it had been hunted before! View attachment 2108511
"Oh it's been hunted before"
I always think these words
GAME ON!
Detectors have evolved over the past decade.
How good was the previous hunter.
Moisture conditions
Things move around in the soil.

Congrats on the old silvers and the crisp looking IHs.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the outstanding finds ! :occasion14:

Yes, we've all heard it before - "your wasting your time" - "my Nephew hunted my yard all weekend a few years ago" - "a friend from work hunted my yard and didn't find anything", etc.

I got permission to hunt the yard of a 1800's house last year.
The property owner told me that his Son came in from out of state and hunted the yard for a few days and that
he " found everything there is - a few modern coins and some trash and that I won't find anything at all"
Long story short - after a two hunts there I dug (6) Silver coins - Rosie's - Merc's - Wash. Quarters and a Franklin Half.
All the coins were only 4" to 6" deep.

Good Hunting !

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because the owner said someone had already hunted it about 10 years ago. All of the old house yards I have hunted in my home town this year have been picked clean. Not even a wheatie in most of them. But somehow, whoever hunted this one missed a square foot right in the corner of the sidewalk where the walk from the front door meets the walk at the street. I hit a clad dime at 2" first. When I went back over the hole, there was a little tickle of a signal that I passed on because I wasn't sure it was really hitting. 12" away I got a weak signal that was ringing solidly both ways. I went down 2" and saw the glint of silver. It was so small I thought I had a trime at first, then I saw the HALF DIME on the back. It was a well worn 1856. Now I carefully went over the area, listening closely. In the edge of the hole where the clad dime was was a faint signal repeatable in both directions. It sounded just like the half dime. Dare I hope for another? At 5" deep I saw the glint of small silver again. It Is!!!, I thought. Then I got hold of it and saw the ONE DIME on the back. Surely it is seated and dropped along with the half dime, I thought. But it was a Barber, an 1898. I was happy with that for a hunted out yard. I spent the next 4 hours scrubbing the rest of the yard without getting a single wheatie. I did, however get a couple of deep Indian heads, an 1880 and an 1884. Both were 6" or so deep and iffy signals. I had to be right on top of them to read them, so it was easy to see how they had been missed. All in all, it turned out to be one of my better house yards, even if it had been hunted before! View attachment 2108511
Awesome!!! Congrats!!! No Yard is EVER Hunted out!!😁

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing day GREAT FINDS !! Thanks for sharing with us

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Done on the Saves of these nice coins. Don't you just love "Hunted out" spots? Continued Success to you.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coins, especially that half dime. Congrats!

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds for a "hunted out" yard. Congratulations! Beautiful coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread