I almost Walk'ed away from these enders

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is a week or so overdue, but I spent last week in Edmonton for training and didn't get to CRH so I'm having withdrawals.

My mother asked why I was going through rolls of halves when she visited and I told her. She said she wanted to look through some rolls as she recounted stories of pulling silver from the register when she worked at a grocery store in the early 80's. It was a skunk box, but she said she'd like to throw some money in with my CRH funds and the next time she came down, I had three boxes of halves and two boxes of nickels.

We sat down at the table last Saturday and I tore into the first box and this is what I see:

Marked enders.jpg

I know the lighting is crappy, but there were seven enders. Marked enders. I told her this was part of someone's dump, then explained what a dump was, and she said let's skip it. I told her about all the stories I'd read on here about people finding silver in other people's dumps so we should check it anyway. I started opening the rolls and she would search the coins. I took the first roll and inserted a couple of my previous finds to show her how the silver rims looked compared to the clad. She was off to the races.

There were a total of 243 marked coins in the box. I pulled them all just to see how many we would find. We were getting close to the end and she said, got one! Lo and behold, she did and it was a first for me (or us!).

Walker.jpg

A nice '42 Walker! My first 90% find.

She's hooked now and was still excited even though the next two boxes didn't have any silver (but did have another 140 marked coins) and the two nickel boxes are still sitting to be opened because of my trip.

By the way, I said I found 243 marked halves and only about 180 are pictured. Well, I took some other advice from the threads and spent about $30 worth getting us into my son's marching band competition and at the concession stand. The lady at the ticket booth kept saying they were dollars and I had to be honest and tell her they were halves. The lady at the concession stand claimed to have never seen a half dollar and her co-worker said she had, but not in a long time. They looked at them like they were some kind of long lost treasure. Too funny. I think I'll keep doing my part to spread the half dollar love (or hate ...) around.

Happy Hunting everyone!

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story! And great call on checking the obviously-gone-through coins! :thumbsup:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great story for many reasons, especially time with family.

I remember one of my best boxes having many marked coin. However, every box that we search is someone's dump, marked or not. We are all just hoping that a few walkers, Bens or silver kens find a way into our box.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All coins are searched, more or less. I guarantee all of the marked coins aren't by the same hunter. They all get mixed over time and a little silver will be added to the mix. That's why you have to search all of the boxes.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All coins are searched, more or less. I guarantee all of the marked coins aren't by the same hunter. They all get mixed over time and a little silver will be added to the mix. That's why you have to search all of the boxes.

I don't disagree with the thought that all coins have been searched, but I do think these were all marked by the same person. With one exception, these all the same mark in virtually the same place. That doesn't mean I won't check them all again though. You can't find the AG if you're not willing to sift through the clad.

Thanks for the comment.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think for the public, it's half dollar hate. $2 bills are worse for the poor guys at the convenience stores.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just as you guys are re-checking halves from someone else's possible dump, kind of runs the same reason that I date check all my dimes if possible. It is because some silver dimes are tinted darker than normal from dirt, stains, etc that just white RIM checking alone sometimes misses some AG.

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as you guys are re-checking halves from someone else's possible dump, kind of runs the same reason that I date check all my dimes if possible. It is because some silver dimes are tinted darker than normal from dirt, stains, etc that just white RIM checking alone sometimes misses some AG.

My eyes aren't what they used to be.

I'll let Mr Coinstar be my "eyes" for date checking the dimes while my natural eyes (with reading glass and a good light source) do the rim checking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread