I Am a Sentinel

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Religion on Politics "Board"...? NO separation of church & state, TJ! Heh!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
He was of the privileged class - another rich guy whose money disappeared. Following is my research on him from 2013:

" ... Operating as Fauquier & Co., (Calvin A.) Stevens was a very prominent mining man in Grant County, (New Mexico) acquiring a large number of mining claims during the first two decades of the twentieth century. He owned properties in the Chloride Flats, Boston Hill, Pinos Altos, Georgetown, Bear Mountain, Burro Mountains and Carpenter mining districts, and in 1903 claimed the Jasper Group in the San Juan district. Along with the many unpatented claims acquired, Fauquier & Co. became the fifth largest holder of patented mining claims in New Mexico. Most of the properties were leased to smaller mining operators.

Stevensā€™ corporation was named after Fauquier County, Virginia, where he owned the Kelly Mine in the 1890ā€™s. Stevens inherited his fatherā€™s fortune in 1877 and before becoming involved in mining was successful in many other ventures, including publishing, shipping, railroads, heavy industry, construction, real estate and Wall Street finance. A number of his Grant County mining properties were lucrative producers, and he was listed in Henry H. Kleinā€™s 1921 book, Dynastic America and Those Who Own It, as one of Americaā€™s richest men, worth more than $10,000,000 before World War I.

When C. Amory Stevens died in 1921, his estate was valued between $15,000,000 and $25,000,000 (a billion 2013 dollars). However, by this time he was living as an eccentric in a rundown New York property, his ā€˜lucky office buildingā€™. Lawyers handling his estate declared that following his death, 95% of his fortune could not be located, with the remaining $1,250,000 willed to his direct heirs, including $500,000 to his daughter Kate.

Kate Stevens Fagen, and later Colonel Victor Hugo Duras, a former American Vice Consul at St. Petersburg, Russia, managed the corporation following Stevensā€™ death. Thomas Harrington, whose ranch surrounded the Jasper Group, attempted to acquire the property by paying its delinquent taxes in 1934, but the company redeemed the claims before Harrington could obtain them (Book 83, Page 399, Miscellaneous Deeds). Harrington finally acquired the Jasper Group in 1941, when Fauquier & Co.apparently abandoned its New Mexico holdings. Kate Stevens, who by this time was married to her third husband, Major Said Ibrahaim Fazid R.A. (Ret.), an Egyptian prince, had moved to London where she died in 1978. ..."
New Mexico Confidential, page 177.

If he had sold off his assets, before his death, there should have been records of any transactions.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
He was of the privileged class - another rich guy whose money disappeared. Following is my research on him from 2013:

" ... Operating as Fauquier & Co., (Calvin A.) Stevens was a very prominent mining man in Grant County, (New Mexico) acquiring a large number of mining claims during the first two decades of the twentieth century. He owned properties in the Chloride Flats, Boston Hill, Pinos Altos, Georgetown, Bear Mountain, Burro Mountains and Carpenter mining districts, and in 1903 claimed the Jasper Group in the San Juan district. Along with the many unpatented claims acquired, Fauquier & Co. became the fifth largest holder of patented mining claims in New Mexico. Most of the properties were leased to smaller mining operators.

Stevensā€™ corporation was named after Fauquier County, Virginia, where he owned the Kelly Mine in the 1890ā€™s. Stevens inherited his fatherā€™s fortune in 1877 and before becoming involved in mining was successful in many other ventures, including publishing, shipping, railroads, heavy industry, construction, real estate and Wall Street finance. A number of his Grant County mining properties were lucrative producers, and he was listed in Henry H. Kleinā€™s 1921 book, Dynastic America and Those Who Own It, as one of Americaā€™s richest men, worth more than $10,000,000 before World War I.

When C. Amory Stevens died in 1921, his estate was valued between $15,000,000 and $25,000,000 (a billion 2013 dollars). However, by this time he was living as an eccentric in a rundown New York property, his ā€˜lucky office buildingā€™. Lawyers handling his estate declared that following his death, 95% of his fortune could not be located, with the remaining $1,250,000 willed to his direct heirs, including $500,000 to his daughter Kate.

Kate Stevens Fagen, and later Colonel Victor Hugo Duras, a former American Vice Consul at St. Petersburg, Russia, managed the corporation following Stevensā€™ death. Thomas Harrington, whose ranch surrounded the Jasper Group, attempted to acquire the property by paying its delinquent taxes in 1934, but the company redeemed the claims before Harrington could obtain them (Book 83, Page 399, Miscellaneous Deeds). Harrington finally acquired the Jasper Group in 1941, when Fauquier & Co.apparently abandoned its New Mexico holdings. Kate Stevens, who by this time was married to her third husband, Major Said Ibrahaim Fazid R.A. (Ret.), an Egyptian prince, had moved to London where she died in 1978. ..."
New Mexico Confidential, page 177.

I've run across this type of thing myself. A man associated with land that a cache site is on, was reported to have farm and ranch holdings in several states as well as Canada. This was reported during the early 1900's and he died in 1941. I read over his estate, trying to find where his land holdings were, and found that he only owned a small acreage and two houses. He had 250,000 dollars in stocks and bonds but no extensive land holdings. I know some of you people are a lot better at research than I am, so, how would I find out about any land sales he might have made?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Mdog, these things are ofttimes held under fictitious names (remember the time period and how easy it was then to be someone other than yourself) and passed to other family members or sold.

Not everyone and everything is "above board". You could just about sell the land to your "other self" with the right lawyer ... thus divesting yourself of the property and its the legal entanglements. Taxes are the reason for many questionable activities today, and the same was true years ago. That's how the "dogtrot" house came into existence ... avoiding taxes.

If you don't think that was possible, then let me assure you that not only WAS it possible, it STILL IS --- and happens quite regularly. Best of all, I'm not even talking about big things like mining claims. It regularly happens with family homesteads, automobiles, etc.

If you worked in my profession, you would see things happen that explain much of what you and others "doubt" or say couldn't be true. If you spend enough time with lawyers, judges, cops and deadbeats (probably should have just left out "lawyers, judges, cops" because they often it the "deadbeats" category) as well as Federal Courts and civil attorneys, you learn about how transactions happen and how can they disappear. This includes personal property, land, businesses and more.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't matter, NOT at grave-site for "Masonic Rites"...

First, a Masonic funeral is held at the request of a departed Brother or his family. Second, the service may be held in a chapel, home, church, synagogue or Lodge room with committal at graveside, or the complete service can be performed at any of the aforementioned places without a separate, committal. Also, a memorial service may be requested, however, you should make your wishes known to your immediate family. The Masonic service may be held in conjunction with a religious service and/or other fraternal service such as Legion or Elks or may be the only service performed. This is at the pleasure of the family, the only restriction being that the Masonic service, once started, must be completed without interruption for another service. How to Conduct a Masonic Funeral

" Our Brother has reached the end of his earthly toils. The brittle thread which bound him to earth has been severed and the liberated spirit has winged its flight to the unknown world. The silver cord is loosed; the golden bowl is broken; the pitcher is broken at the fountain; and the wheel is broken at the cistern. The dust has returned to the earth as it was, and the spirit has returned to God who gave it."

Master reads Sacred Roll: Brother (full name), a Master Mason. Member of (Name of Lodge and Number) . Entered into rest (date), Age x years, y months and z days.

L.C.........

P.S. That is all I will say about it on this thread, but if you want to debate facts you know where to find me Brother! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Mdog, these things are ofttimes held under fictitious names (remember the time period and how easy it was then to be someone other than yourself) and passed to other family members or sold.

Not everyone and everything is "above board". You could just about sell the land to your "other self" with the right lawyer ... thus divesting yourself of the property and its the legal entanglements. Taxes are the reason for many questionable activities today, and the same was true years ago. That's how the "dogtrot" house came into existence ... avoiding taxes.

If you don't think that was possible, then let me assure you that not only WAS it possible, it STILL IS --- and happens quite regularly. Best of all, I'm not even talking about big things like mining claims. It regularly happens with family homesteads, automobiles, etc.

If you worked in my profession, you would see things happen that explain much of what you and others "doubt" or say couldn't be true. If you spend enough time with lawyers, judges, cops and deadbeats (probably should have just left out "lawyers, judges, cops" because they often it the "deadbeats" category) as well as Federal Courts and civil attorneys, you learn about how transactions happen and how can they disappear. This includes personal property, land, businesses and more.

Chadeaux, that's an excellent post and brings up things I never thought of. I always thought such transactions were pretty much black and white, but it seems there could be a lot of grey involved. You could probably keep a thread going in the KGC forum, with the kind of information you're talking about. So, I guess it would be possible to liquidate your assets without an obvious paper trail. You would have modern techniques to help you track down information but it would have been a lot harder in the early 20th century. Thanks.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
First, a Masonic funeral is held at the request of a departed Brother or his family. Second, the service may be held in a chapel, home, church, synagogue or Lodge room with committal at graveside, or the complete service can be performed at any of the aforementioned places without a separate, committal. Also, a memorial service may be requested, however, you should make your wishes known to your immediate family. The Masonic service may be held in conjunction with a religious service and/or other fraternal service such as Legion or Elks or may be the only service performed. This is at the pleasure of the family, the only restriction being that the Masonic service, once started, must be completed without interruption for another service. How to Conduct a Masonic Funeral

" Our Brother has reached the end of his earthly toils. The brittle thread which bound him to earth has been severed and the liberated spirit has winged its flight to the unknown world. The silver cord is loosed; the golden bowl is broken; the pitcher is broken at the fountain; and the wheel is broken at the cistern. The dust has returned to the earth as it was, and the spirit has returned to God who gave it."

Master reads Sacred Roll: Brother (full name), a Master Mason. Member of (Name of Lodge and Number) . Entered into rest (date), Age x years, y months and z days.

L.C.........

P.S. That is all I will say about it on this thread, but if you want to debate facts you know where to find me Brother! :laughing7:
LOL! EACH state Grand Lodge decides; NO further debate is necessary... BROTHER! Heh...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Chadeaux, that's an excellent post and brings up things I never thought of. I always thought such transactions were pretty much black and white, but it seems there could be a lot of grey involved. You could probably keep a thread going in the KGC forum, with the kind of information you're talking about. So, I guess it would be possible to liquidate your assets without an obvious paper trail. You would have modern techniques to help you track down information but it would have been a lot harder in the early 20th century. Thanks.
Agree.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
but it would have been a lot harder in the early 20th century. Thanks.

... actually, not that much. I use the same techniques as my grandfather used when he was hunting bounty in Texas & Oklahoma.

Sure, I'll peek at a computer screen to give me a heads up. However, nothing beats "boots on the ground" for hunters of any kind. That includes 4 legged and 2 legged animals as well as treasures.

That's why I find it so humorous when folks who have never found their quarry tell others there's no such thing as treasure signs and caches.

It really takes on a different feeling when law enforcement comes to you to ask how you found the guy they weren't able to.

... and I don't even own a gun except for two small caliber air rifles.

I've even located someone who had been missing for 65 years and whom my father had been told was dead. He got the opportunity to speak with his sister before he passed because I didn't give up. She was hidden by the Mississippi adoption system. Do a "google search" and find out how easy that one is to breach and get information out of.

In January of 2001 my mom gave up the search, and after my dad's heart attack in April of that year, she asked me to take over the search. That was in May when I took over, before the end of the month, she was on the phone with him.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
...Taxes are the reason for many questionable activities today, and the same was true years ago. ...

Correct, and now it'll be interesting to see if the worlds' governments will be able to control and tax cryptocurrency/blockchain trades and transfers, which are totally off the grid for the time being.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"e-Sentinels" are coming for that... (Singing...) "Baby, Baby, it's a wide, world..."; heh...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
... actually, not that much. I use the same techniques as my grandfather used when he was hunting bounty in Texas & Oklahoma.

Sure, I'll peek at a computer screen to give me a heads up. However, nothing beats "boots on the ground" for hunters of any kind. That includes 4 legged and 2 legged animals as well as treasures.

That's why I find it so humorous when folks who have never found their quarry tell others there's no such thing as treasure signs and caches.

It really takes on a different feeling when law enforcement comes to you to ask how you found the guy they weren't able to.

... and I don't even own a gun except for two small caliber air rifles.

I've even located someone who had been missing for 65 years and whom my father had been told was dead. He got the opportunity to speak with his sister before he passed because I didn't give up. She was hidden by the Mississippi adoption system. Do a "google search" and find out how easy that one is to breach and get information out of.

In January of 2001 my mom gave up the search, and after my dad's heart attack in April of that year, she asked me to take over the search. That was in May when I took over, before the end of the month, she was on the phone with him.

It seems you have a unique set of skills that could also be useful in treasure research. Have you ever used what you have learned to research a treasure site? If you have, I'd like to hear about it.

Also, it seems you have a lot of contact with other law enforcement and the criminal element of society. One of the topics of treasure lore has been treasure sites guarded by sentinels who know exactly where the cache is, but still leave it in the ground. Why do you think they would do this. The first thing that pops into my mind is why not dig the stuff up and relocate it in an area where security guards could be substituted for sentinels, probably on corporate property. Do you know of any legal or illegal reason they would leave a cache in the ground?

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It seems you have a unique set of skills that could also be useful in treasure research. Have you ever used what you have learned to research a treasure site? If you have, I'd like to hear about it.

Also, it seems you have a lot of contact with other law enforcement and the criminal element of society. One of the topics of treasure lore has been treasure sites guarded by sentinels who know exactly where the cache is, but still leave it in the ground. Why do you think they would do this. The first thing that pops into my mind is why not dig the stuff up and relocate it in an area where security guards could be substituted for sentinels, probably on corporate property. Do you know of any legal or illegal reason they would leave a cache in the ground?

Sentinel? Why yes, however, they are not always referred to as such.

I'm Native American, but didn't know it until I reached my majority (21 years) because my family tried hard to blend in. As Houma, some of us can often pass as white (many of my Nation had green eyes when we were discovered by La Salle on the banks of Lake Pontchartrain back in the 1700's).

In my younger years I often hunted with an old Choctaw here in Arkansas. That was my firs experience with the bent trees ... but because I have a fear of heights (unusual for an NDN, but it's because of a fall from a 3 story building when I was 2 or 3 years old) I found those trees convenient to stand on while deer hunting. Got me off the ground, but not too high up.

Decades later, I learned why my friend didn't like me climbing on them. He never told me, but I learned about the trees from a couple of former members here. I learned more from a member of another forum, from a friend on the Cherokee mailing list and a few others. I did a lot of research, ran into a lot of roadblocks among my people. My elders said they knew nothing of the trees, and still stand by that statement.

As with some of the people mentioned above, I watch for these trees in my area. I do not touch them ... I watch. I observe. I've learned not to tell the whites because they will either destroy it to "find treasure" or cut it down because it is related to Native Americans.

Contrary to common belief among many treasure hunters, there is a difference between a "treasure tree" and a "thong tree" --- or Indian Trail Tree. The trees are living history, some are/were considered sacred (prayer trees in Colorado for example). There was a prayer tree near where I live. A forester who knew of these trees cut the tree just above the vertical bend as an insult. He left the rest of the tree.

I do watch the forums. I've learned even here not to say anything even when the tree is clearly not a "hoot owl tree".

I've even found a "Hoot Owl Tree" in an area frequented by John Morrell. Nothing there, but the tree is interesting to look at. I've even posted pics here. Another has a 3D bald eagle climbing the side of it. The head is even white. It came from how the bark was removed/treated/burned/reattached.

Do they mark treasure? Well, it depends on what you call treasure.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a group mapping " trail trees".
Have seen a photo of a nephew by one in the southern part of the state in a now ( of course) well developed area.
Nice to see some almost respectful interest ,documentation and non molestation for a change.
Mounds despite a unpleasant history involving many violated and even removed are seeing more protection too now.
I'm curious when near ( most understandably that are reasonably secure are on private land) but steer clear.
An old Sioux here in Mi ( folks travel )long ago told of a downstream site he used to sift/ screen , but I just go past .

The property owners in some cases could be considered sentinels . Those that care anyway. A bit farther south natives still care for one mound group.

Of related interest, an uncle used to locate and restore ( to a point) forgotten cemeteries.
May have been a pioneer one that dad mentioned hearing a slight chime noise from above.
On a high branch hung a feather balanced with a bead on the quills large end. ( I don't recall what made the note( s).

That place had natives and those who came after together.
So did tales of a harmony of sorts during a blip in history.

One farm that natives used the house floor for a nights rest when passing along the river ,and usually gone before light was up much.
Great grandfathers general store and the kegs of beads in the loft that grandma as a child would mix when having a naughty spell.
Beads turned up too in a sand blow not far away probably predating great grandfather.
No conflict with natives recorded ,unless the claim of their being an Indian in the wood pile is true. An uncle with high cheek bones was not well liked by grandfather and was farmed out young...

Somewhere is a picture of gramps in a little boys dress/ gown whatever they called them ,on the store porch with a pet deer.
How a deer was preserved at a time folks would pocket one in a heartbeat must have taken cooperation among all visitor's.
As far out beyond the nearest village as they were in that land of many small waterways , I don't imagine anything they did went un noticed.
But ,they were not there to molest others history , or what had been placed by others.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

I believe that certain people check up on carvings, etc to insure that they are intact. They may even create new ones. These carvings, along with natural and manmade permanent landmarks, and in some cases, areas of terraforming (road cuts, ponds, tunnels, etc) form geometric patterns in areas where valuable caches may exist. If there is a cache nearby, then it's my opinion that it's secure and needs no "guarding" because its location - while possibly associated with the geometric patterns - is not decipherable from the pattern itself. These people also, in my opinion, are the same ones who reveal some of these clues to new people every generation or two, thus keeping the locations of the clues known at all times by at least a few folks. Why they do this, I don't know. If there was such a thing as the classic "sentinels" as we know the term, I think they have faded away, probably since the 1930s and certainly by the 1980s. When guys talk about encounters with "treasure sentinels", I believe they are mistaking these people with other folks who they might have run into on their sites - random crazed treasure hunters like themselves, or ranchers, landowners, marijuana growers, artifact hunters, etc.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There is a group mapping " trail trees".

Yes, I used to associate with the Mountain Stewards. Contributed to their "database" of trees. I put their head guy (Don Wells) in contact with Celinda Kaelin (with the Pike's Peak Historical Society. She has written articles about the Ute prayer trees as well as their medicine trees --- she was instrumental in saving them from being bulldozed) after she and I had talked about the similarities. Don't know what happened, but she won't talk to me anymore. Don Wells of the Mountain Stewards doesn't talk with me any more since I stopped sending in coordinates and other data on the trees I find and catalogue for my own records or the maps I personally ground truthed. ... but I do send him pictures of those trees he he!

The Mountain Stewards started out humble, then they became commercial ... oh the things people do (and how they change) for money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions