Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch a lot of youtube and I see this a lot of this. you go to the beach ,you got a $700 MD , a $300 scoop , and a pin pointer . You find a target, you dig it up, it in the scoop, you dump it on the ground and bring out that little pin pointer or your fingers to find it. Now isn't that a little stupid? Why a pin pointer ? you have a scoop, use it ! you don't need a pin pointer on a beach. You waste to much time with a pin pointer. Pin pointer are made for Grass, not sand !!:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::tongue3:

Upvote 0

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THIS IS OPINION - NOT INTENDED TO HURT ANYONE'S FEELINGS! WARNING - DON"T READ IF THIN SKINNED...

Where are my beach Pro's at?

Anybody, let me slow down and type slowly so everybody gets this - A-N-Y-B-O-D-Y that is using a pinpointer on a beach has no clue what they are doing. If you can't sift the wet sand mud you dump it and use your foot to separate the clump as you run your coil over it and use the nose of your scoop to pick up the sand you think the target is in. You never have to bend down, and you are done in seconds. :skullflag:

:icon_scratch: :3some: :argue: :happy1:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes we are all beach pros (but some of us are even MORE pro ...cf OBN, CASPER.... :tchest: )

11e3d55495f4a546cfe6743135d7d2b6.jpg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see op post as snappy or condescending, no more so than saying someone wearing sandals with knee high black socks at beach looks stupid which it does, just like wearing your pants half way off your butt looks stupid.....

I have yet to chase a target at the beach that I wish I a pinpointer to find...

Signature Line .... Trump 2016!

If we had your sugar sand, I probably wouldn't need one either! :laughing7: Try hunting a beach with areas of cobble, heavy shells, or adobe clay. You'll find a use for that pin pointer on the first scoop.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is a pinpointer...:laughing7:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If I go to the beach with family and we're just hanging out and not metal detecting it's cool to have the little stealth carrot so I can check the sand around me for surface drops.
Other than that I've never really used it at the beach when scooping but I would if I needed it.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are certain conditions where using a pin pointer is advantageous:
Such as retrieving targets between rocks, a target in a hole in coral, near roots where you need to minimize damage, need to rapidly remove a concentration of shallow targets that are masking good targets by proning out and using the side lobe of pin pointer, determine what keeps dropping through the holes of your scoop (sigh). And the list goes on and on - it's site specific.

I would rather look like and be considered a rookie than a hard core treasure hunter.
For me, it's about getting an edge over the competition so that I find more of what I am after.

Last edited:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally some excitement around here...no one cares what somebody else does...people just throwing out thoughts and opinions...how do you get your feelings hurt on a forum by people you've never met?

Yeah really, pinpoint away and I'll move past them and grab the next treasure. [emoji4]

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I go to the beach with family and we're just hanging out and not metal detecting it's cool to have the little stealth carrot so I can check the sand around me for surface drops.

You my friend are in serious need of a 12-step program. :laughing7:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My thought is if it is small enough to go through a scoop, I refuse to chase it.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who gives a damn if somebody uses a pinpointer at a beach? Sounds like "***** ****" to me. Go drink a large can of man and think of a new question to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My thought is if it is small enough to go through a scoop, I refuse to chase it.

Pretty much the same for me, sometimes I know it is a stud or something after the 1st try and I put my free hand under the scoop to try to catch it, other than that I move on pretty quick from stuff like that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you have to do is put a small mesh screen in the bottom 1/4 of your scoop and it will stop all the tiny targets from falling out. I have found many stud earrings this way. Pin-pointer is just one more thing to have to carry and possibly lose at the beach, haven't used one at the beach in 9 years. When I first started beach hunting I carried one for about 6 months then figured out it was not needed at all and was a waste of time......

I used a mesh screen
for rain gutters, cut it to fit the bottom 1/4 of my scoop...

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very entertaining guys I'm still smiling. I'm with the do what you feel comfortable with group. Myself I dump and kick, thirty seconds would be a lot of time for me to make a recovery. Most of the time its faster than draining the scoop out in the water and if I have the choice I'm moving up the bank and dumping before walking into the water. As long as we're all enjoying ourselves don't fret it's all good. You don't have to go slow keeping your coil close to the ground either you could scratch the cover, swing it like a pendulum above the sand I'm good with that. If you've pulled a target out of your hole why check it again don't waste your time I have plenty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions