I am looking for a old church site.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DJI_0077.JPG
DJI_0078.JPG
DJI_0089.JPG
DJI_0093.JPG
The church is no longer there. Down below where the church was is a small cemetery. You can see some of the grave stones in a few of the pictures, I took one of my drones land took some pictures of the area hoping to find a indention or a flat building area. No luck . I could find nothing of it on Lidar also. I think tthere is a old road leading up to where the chuch was . i will go there and try and follow it . Does anyone know of where i could find information on the church ?

Thanks in Advance

DJI_0076.JPG

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare, is there a historical society in that area? They might have some info.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a member there in most of them . But i will check on the town it is close to . Thanks :)

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In what town was the church? What was its name and denomination?
Don in SoCal
Don it was not in a town. It was out in the country above an old cemetery.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old maps of the area would be where I'd start. Schools and churches were usually noted on maps even when not much else was.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robert the oldest map of the area I have is 1874
Not on there

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don I understand what your saying, I do not want to give some others on this site it's location. If this makes sense. There is just rumors of it is all i have heard, I can find no print on it. Down below where the church was supposed to be is a cemetery.

bottlecap4u

Jan 15, 2024
Don I understand what your saying, I do not want to give some others on this site it's location. If this makes sense. There is just rumors of it is all i have heard, I can find no print on it. Down below where the church was supposed to be is a cemetery.
good grief, don't think folks will run to your area for an old church site, this is a really good forum to get help and I've found that folks here generally want to be helpful but need info when folks post for help, the more info you post, the better help you can get.. With that info, I was going to research it for you, then share results. Anyway, to begin, may want to try this site, for my area I'm able to pull up several old maps for townships within counties I hunt, ranging from mid 1800s through 1915 (again for my area here in Michigan), if the church doesn't appear on the oldest, it may not have been around then, so seek out a later map. Maps in my area designate churches with a small building and cross on top. I use these old maps all the time to pick out good detecting sites. link- https://www.oldmapsonline.org/en/Canton Good luck.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi
Is this the old Marietta Graveyard?
Marietta is close to Canton Ohio where you may live.
Great location for Civil War artifacts!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck to you. Always exciting to find a new place to detect. What are the birth and death dates on the stones?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread