I Am Planning To Buy A Detector for Salt Water/Beach Use - Which One Of These?

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on making 6/7 trips to California for Beach/Water hunting, this coming Spring, Summer and Fall. I do not have a water/ beach detector, so I plan to purchase one of the following three.

Tesoro Sand Shark

White's Surf PI Dual Field

Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II

There is a lot to like about all 3 of these detectors, but right now, I am leaning toward the Garrett.

You thoughts and suggestions, on these units, will be appreciated!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All Good machines. Think about cost, ease of use, weight, and warranty.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
They are all good. I have been using the Whites Surfmaster PI for 13 years. It is a Turn on and go detector. It will find coins in black sand. It will go deep. It will find fine gold chains. Just my experience. Frank...
gold cross chain.jpg
Yep, the Whites found it, but most won't.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A PI (quote removed by mod)

I am not sure if I will go with a Sea Hunter II or not. However, your price my push me in that direction. What are you asking?

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill De only Charter Members can sell here, if you want to sell please become a CM......

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. I didn't realize that, as I haven't been active on MD forums or in metal detecting for about a year.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. I didn't realize that, as I haven't been active on MD forums or in metal detecting for about a year.

That isn't a problem, CM is $20 a year if you decide you would like to join or sell detector here....

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure if I will go with a Sea Hunter II or not. However, your price my push me in that direction. What are you asking?

It has literally no more than an hour's time on it, and has no marks or scratches, including the coil. Complete as received from Garrett, with detector bag, waterproof phones, manual and warranty card, in original box. I will double-box, and ship insured with tracking number, for $500.
. SeaHunter15.05.20_800x600.jpg SeaHunter15.04.27_800x600.jpg SeaHunter15.06.44_800x600.jpg SeaHunter15.03.52_800x600.jpg

Hooch64

Aug 1, 2012
Poconos,Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also considering one of the 3 detectors mentioned by JohnnyFlake and would also like some thoughts,thanks. Also i have a whites xlt I may consider selling some day but was wondering if I should just keep it.I like it but was never crazy about it,though I don't get nearly enough time using it.Believe it or not I liked my old whites 6000d better.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys, after driving myself crazy, reading a half dozen threads, on this site and on another group, about salt water detecting, over the last week, I finally decided to loosen up the purse strings and moved up to one of the machines, favored by the majority of serious water hunters. It's not a Pulse Machine!

Yesterday, I ordered a new Fisher CZ21 from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. I have purchased several detectors from them in the past and they gave me a good price, so I went with it. I should have it in a few days.

On thing that helped swing me in that direction, is that years ago, I had and loved a Fisher CZ6. It operated at the same two frequencies, at the same time, that the CZ21 operates at 5 khz and 15 khz. I recalled how much I loved that machine. I would still have it now, had it not been stolen from my vehicle about 15 years ago.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have one question. Why did you even bother asking for help?
Strike 1- you said you narrowed it down to 3 PI models.
Strike 2- You asked for opinions on these 3 models.
Strike 3- You ignore all the experienced info you got and buy a different detector than from your list for salt water beach hunting and it is not a PI!!!!!!!!!
Three strikes and you are out. Sorry about that. Frank... hand print-2_edited-7.jpg

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one question. Why did you even bother asking for help?
Strike 1- you said you narrowed it down to 3 PI models.
Strike 2- You asked for opinions on these 3 models.
Strike 3- You ignore all the experienced info you got and buy a different detector than from your list for salt water beach hunting and it is not a PI!!!!!!!!!
Three strikes and you are out. Sorry about that. Frank... View attachment 927328

Really!!!

What kind of post is that???

In the beginning, my research and thinking led me to believe a PI Detector was the way to go. However, after a whole lot's more research and discussion with others, I came to realize, that for me, I'd rather not be digging up a lot of trash and that in the long term, a high quality VLF Detector would be best for me.

Have you never changed your mind about something, after learning more about the subject???

Your post is in bad taste in my humble opinion, but that's just me!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really!!!

What kind of post is that???

In the beginning, my research and thinking led me to believe a PI Detector was the way to go. However, after a whole lot's more research and discussion with others, I came to realize, that for me, I'd rather not be digging up a lot of trash and that in the long term, a high quality VLF Detector would be best for me.

Have you never changed your mind about something, after learning more about the subject???

Your post is in bad taste in my humble opinion, but that's just me!!!

I agree !

you are allowed to change your mind 8-)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
My post stated reality! Sure you have the right to change your mine!
You appear to have a closet full of detectors and you have probably already determined that they were not the best for a salt water beach. You say you researched and found that 3 PI detectors were best for this use. You were correct in selecting PI detectors. They are king of the beach. Most of the posts confirmed your selection of the three. So what do you do? You go out and get a non PI detector. Hay, the choice was yours, I agree, but you wasted everyone's time! That was my point!!!! Frank...

6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 056-1.jpg
Never more!

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You appear to have a closet full of detectors and you have probably already determined that they were not the best for a salt water beach. You say you researched and found that 3 PI detectors were best for this use. You were correct in selecting PI detectors. They are king of the beach. Most of the posts confirmed your selection of the three. So what do you do? You go out and get a non PI detector. Hay, the choice was yours, I agree, but you wasted everyone's time! That was my point!!!! Frank...

View attachment 928105 Never more!

For being on the forum as long as you have, your attitude SUCKS!!!

I am 72 years young and I certainly don't need a lecture from you. If you feel your time was wasted, don't participate when questions are asked, from anyone, in the future!!!

View attachment 928105 I am done with you!!![/QUOTE]

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't believe for a moment any ones time was wasted.

If you really feel it is a waste of time giving friendly opinions

DON'T give any opinions !

I'll be glad when the cabin fever is over :BangHead:

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
DON'T give any opinions !

You know Jeff, some times I feel that way about other's opinions!

Frank... 111-2 700.jpg

Hooch64

Aug 1, 2012
Poconos,Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn doesn't even get 3 strikes with me. just remembered why i don't usually bother with ANY forums for anything! Hope all gold members aren't this courteous. Or is this a gold member privilege? Good luck to ya JohnnyFlake, just remember some people are real .......s!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread