I am tired of not being able to detect Diamond Studs.........HELP!

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So let me get to the point. Diamond studs, are VERY DIFFICULT to detect. Do not assume your equipment will detect them.

I just took a High quality diamond stud earring and tried to detect it with my CTX-3030, in multiple modes, perfectly ground balanced, and it can’t. My AT Pro Can’t. My Excal can’t. My Garret Carrot, you have to literally put it on highest sensitivity and TOUCH it to the stud, you can’t even be 1mm away, you have to physically touch it for it to go off.

Obviously to slay the gold (in this case it was white gold) diamond stud issue, I need a GOLD machine. I don’t want to spend more than I need, as you can spend ALOT on a gold machine, but I want quality and something that is going to put this to bed! Help me!

I am considering:

Equinox 800 - I hear it has two gold modes which are very impressive, and it has some things much better than the CTX3030, which I already own, and is about 3x the price.

XP Deus - I have heard good things about this detector too when it comes to gold.

Goldbug/Goldbug2 - I don’t know much about these, but I have seen them recommended.

Garrett AT Gold - I have come to love the AT Pro, its solid. I have hard the AT Gold has higher frequency to deal with gold and could possibly detect diamond stud earrings.

And as a pinpointer:
Whites TRX - I use only Garrett Carrots, but I have heard the TRX does better on small gold.

Please give me your advice. I am really only interested in advice from those who have used these machines on SMALL gold. You can’t assume. I would never have thought that buying so many thousands of dollars of top of the line machines (Excal, CTX3030, AT Pro) that I would not be able to detect a diamond stud, but it just can’t. I have many coils too, on the CTX and the AT Pro I have sharpshooter small coils and result is still the same, I can air test, turn sensitivity WAY up, go all metal, it doesn’t matter, the high quality white gold diamond stud is completely transparent to these detectors.

What is your experience?

Upvote 0

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd like some updated replies on this subject. I am guessing that if the Deus finds them the Deus II would as well. What about some of the newer machines available. I am hoping to read about how well the Simplex and newer Minelab machines find gold studs.
I have and use a couple of detectors that have no issues in seeing gold studs one is a gold detector the Garrett 24K it runs 48 KHz the other is the Nokta Legend which has a dedicated gold mode just like the Equinox, the gold mode runs 20 and 40 KHz on the Legend, my main detecting is for Gold nuggets and both the detectors I have mentioned will see very small bits of sub gram gold, if you want to step up to a higher dollar detector than some mentioned that also sees some pretty small gold you can move up to a PI (Pulse Induction)detector like the New Garrett Axiom which I also use when out detecting for nuggets

the Garrett 24K and the Legend are VLF detectors the 24K is geared for gold detection, and the Legend I would consider a more all around detector, I prefer the 24K when out detecting for nuggets the 24K and the Axiom paired togeter are a deadly combination for detecting gold nuggets, and the Legend is no slouch when it comes to finding gold jewelry, while coin hunting, I have detected for coins and jewelry using the 24K and it worked great but it would not be my first choice out of the detectors I use for that purpose, another great detector that is no longer produced that was a great all around detector was the Mine Lab Xterra 705, I have used the 705 and in fact still have my Xterra 705, and still use it quite often for coins,relics,and jewelry and nuggets, the Xterra 705 was one of the most underrated VLF detectors to have ever been produced in my opinion

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been out much, however the Deus II found, and I might add, the only item in the field worth having, a gold stud earring! Go figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread