I beleive this is a hawk?

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
I was at the "Indian Graveyard" today and saw this little critter. I was able to get within about 15' feet of it, but it looked as though it would have attacked me if I got any closer, so I left it at the 15' foot mark... ;D
Hawk.jpg
Hawk2.jpg
Somebody tell this city boy,,, ;D Is this a hawk?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, a red-tailed hawk.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
beautiful and amazing you were able to get so close to it! thanks for bringing home pics for us! :D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Red Tail...Was is sitting on a rodent?

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks all,,,
civilman1, he/she wasn't sitting on anything but he/she did keep scratching on the ground for some reason. Here's a small video I put together of it...

Any ideas on what it was doing in the video?

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
it must have spotted either a mouse of snake and was trying to scratch away the top level of ground cover to expose it or make it move.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
He probably had a snake there, possibly holed up and was trying to get at it.

nice pics there, and some of them do let you get rather close when they can sense you really are not going to harm them.

aaron

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's already got it's food pinned down by it's talons. It's was just keeping whatever it was there. I'm thinking a snake or small rodent. Something that can jolt fast like that to make it stomp it's claw back down on it. Beautiful Red Tailed Hawk for sure!!

Bran <><

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks all,,,
I was pretty sure it was a hawk. Being a Red Tailed, I guess was throwing me off... I usually see one that's mostly brown, but never got close enough to get a good shot of it. I wasn't sure if this one was a hawk, or a falcon... Definitely a beautiful bird up close...
Good luck, & Happy Hunting~

RainDog

Jun 10, 2005
middle Ga
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Discovery 1100
I would guess that red tail had a small snake pinned down and was waiting for it to quit wiggling.
Great pics and vid.I'm sure it ws a rush to see that!!
HH Raindog

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep thats a hawk

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pic of the hawk. I saw one on the ground in the pasture, as I neared it to get a better look it flew up and had a grey squirrel in it's talons. Awesome flight...hawk flying, squirrel's tail fluttering in the breeze.

;) RR

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yup probably had a small prey item in its talons. they kill prey by tightening and releasing their talons over and over until whatever it is they caught is dead. you can get pretty close to them when they are busy like that. really cool photo.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
red tailed hawk (big one full grown) -- they eat snakes ,small rodent animals (rats & bunnies) and birds like quail and such -- they have a shrill cry -- most likely had a snake "pinned" down --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread