sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I had some business to take care of at the bank and happened to notice a stack of two dollar bills in the teller's drawer. On a whim I bought all 80 of them. There is something oddly amusing about paying for something by handing over a two dollar bill to an 18 year old cashier. Half of the time they look like you're trying to pass a counterfeit note. I suppose I'm entertained easily. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475911766.289825.jpg

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
They aren't that popular with the masses and some of the mentally challenged 'normal' people can't equate that it takes 5 of those to equal $10. Anyway, they were issued back in the day too so the more valuable ones will say silver certificate.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They aren't that popular with the masses and some of the mentally challenged 'normal' people can't equate that it takes 5 of those to equal $10. Anyway, they were issued back in the day too so the more valuable ones will say silver certificate.

I know they are still printed but these were all series 1976. I'm assuming someone just found a stack in a dresser drawer and brought them in to the bank to cash out.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I've been playing that game for several yrs. Its fun. The girls at the bank always give me all their 2 dollar bills when i get a checked cashed. They have done it so long I don't mention it, they just do it. Sometimes its just a couple and sometimes it might be a stack of 50. I had a thread here a year or two ago about it. Not sure how to link it here with my tablet. It was titled 'fun with two dollar bills' or something similar.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I once was told the $2 bills were printed because $2 was the minimum bet
at a horse race track. Easier than a stack of $1.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't help that there used to be a saying "fake as a two dollar bill" lol!

I had one clerk call over the supervisor, who told her it was all right to take it.
Wonder what they wpuld do if you handed them a $500 dollar bill? Lol

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought that saying was for a three dollar bill. As to a $500 bill it would depend on the date for they did make them at one time as the last time they were minted was 1945 and it is a collectable.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always like getting a few and using them at convenience stores.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in 2005, a guy was arrested near me when he tried to pay for the installation of his son's car stereo with all 2 dollar bills. I thought it was funny a short while back when the guy at the local Dunkin Donuts gave me an Ike dollar coin in my change and made sure to explain to me that it was indeed worth $1.

Last edited:

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give out 2 Dollar Bills in Christmas Cards to the kids in my family. I also give them Half Dollar coins and Ike Dollars, if I can find them. They get excited, and I hope it gets them interested in Collecting Coins. A few times I got Red Seal Two Dollar Bills, I think they were 1963.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Back in 2005, a guy was arrested near me when he tried to pay for the installation of his son's car stereo with all 2 dollar bills. I thought it was funny a short while back when the guy at the local Dunkin Donuts gave me an Ike dollar coin in my change and made sure to explain to me that it was indeed worth $1.

... and don't forget to check you change at the local Mc Donalds. Pay for a sausage biscuit with a $2 bill and get three Susan B. Anthonys in your change.

BTW, I didn't know that Kennedy halves were foreign money but the cashier at that Mc Donald's called the supervisor over and told him I was trying to pass foreign currency.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I save $2 bills whenever I can. Some time back I received several, put them away, now just recently got more. Would you believe one of the serial numbers was the NEXT SEQUENCE number of one that I already had. How strange is that!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread