I bought the sunray XL-1 probe (for the XLT)

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
I have been playing around with it & did a quick airtest on a penny. It reads the penny at 2 ? inches in both discriminate & all metal mode. Havnt tested it on buried objects yet.

I like it a lot so far , but one thing that I DON?T like about it is that it doesn?t switch over well when using a ?Hot program? (high sensitivity/ preamp gain programs) ?. Sometimes you have to re-air/ground balance the probe to get it to work. Another thing I don?t like about it is the switch placement ?. It seems to me that it is in an odd place?I would LIKE to relocate the switch to a spot on the top of the battery box marked with the red dot (seen in the below pic). Would be a perfect place to access it easily. Could conceivably be possible to mount the switch in a small box that could be mounted just above the plug by usning the screw in that area to mount it (the screw is near the red dot) . BUT I will wait til the warranty runs out on it before I start modifying anything. ?;)

I don?t like keeping it mounted on the shaft (like most online pics show it mounted)?. So instead of buying the special ?box mount? clip ?. I took the shaft mount clips & just simply placed them on the shaft above the box (see pic). Does Anyone else use this same configuration???? Seems to work well so far & I can remove the probe easily from the clips by simply putting my thumb between the probe & the detector?s shaft that it is mounted on & pulling slightly. I MAY have to drill holes in the shaft to mount the plastic bolts (that are supplied) to keep the clips from rotating while removing & replacing the probe in the clips. Don?t know for sure yet until I use the probe more in the field.

The clips are made of a VERY durable plastic that gives some when placing the probe inside the clips. It is very doubtfull they would break easily. They are NOT made of hard, easily breakable plastic. You can also use only one clip (instead of two) to mount the probe as the clip is very strong.

So far I Really like the probe? think I may get out today in the field for some actual real-world use.

Attachments

• probepost.jpg
    probepost.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats how I mount my S-1 on me Sovereign.

You should be able to Double the Depth in ground also.

I switch over to all metal to pinpoint, don't know how easy that is with yours.

Your gonna love it, thats for shure.
Happy Hunting
Jeff

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got mine installed today......... :thumbsup:

Can't wait to use it....... :wink:

Attachments

• XL-1 010.jpg
    XL-1 010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 200
  • XL-1 012.jpg
    XL-1 012.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 209
  • XL-1 004.jpg
    XL-1 004.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 196

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Scooter, try flipping that probe around to take up the slack, it keeps it out of the way. I like were the switch is mounted. I can flip it over with my middle finger before the detector gets to the ground and then flip it back using my thumb while picking up the detector. Easy as pie!
The probe does add considerable weight though so it spends most of the time in my pocket if I am detecting for a long time.

Attachments

• P1010153_0153_153.jpg
    P1010153_0153_153.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 198

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tin Nugget said:
Scooter, try flipping that probe around to take up the slack, it keeps it out of the way. I like were the switch is mounted. I can flip it over with my middle finger before the detector gets to the ground and then flip it back using my thumb while picking up the detector. Easy as pie!
The probe does add considerable weight though so it spends most of the time in my pocket if I am detecting for a long time.

Thanks for the tips :thumbsup: I really appreciate the reply....

I noticed looking at your picture that I needed to flip my S-rod around as well... :icon_scratch: :-[

Maybe I will find more "Silver & Gold" now :wink: :D ::) LOL

Hope it works as good as it looks... Great build quality from Sun Ray...

Happy digging,
Scooter

Attachments

• XL-1 023.jpg
    XL-1 023.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 197
  • XL-1 025.jpg
    XL-1 025.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 203

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread