I call it "THE SANDMAN"

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
I call it "THE SANDMAN"

Well, I finally broke down and bought a new Excalibur II. :icon_thumright:
I decided I wanted to hang it around my neck, and that I would use the stock shaft while I built a straight shaft, and considered a 3-piece travel rod.
After several searches, I decided on the 1 foot long 7/8" aluminium tube, drilled holes for the body & battery pods, and painted it fluorescent green
to match the Excal & my scoop handle. Two holes near one end and a 2" split ring allow me to attach a padded camera strap. I know that several others
on TNet use a neck or chest mount with their Excals, but I've named my version after the most vocal proponent of hanging the Excal controls on one's neck.
I call it "The Sandman"! ;D

Attachments

• the-sandman.jpg
    the-sandman.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 774
  • excal-mount.jpg
    excal-mount.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 769
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I call it "THE SANDMAN"

Looks very nice. I used a piece of lawn chair leg and very easy to make. Thanks....

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

:icon_thumright:
looks very nice!! thanks for the pix it always helps!

travelingjack1

Apr 5, 2010
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

waterfalljay said:
Well, I finally broke down and bought a new Excalibur II.

Congrats on the new excalibur jay. I'm sure you will like it. HH! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
waterfalljay

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used

travelingjack1 said:
waterfalljay said:
Well, I finally broke down and bought a new Excalibur II.

Going to try it out in a fresh water lake tomorrow. Can you tell any difference between the Excal II & The 1000?
Thanks for all the good wishes. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
waterfalljay

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used

Silver Surfer said:
Very nice... What type of paint did you use? Did you put plugs in the end?
I used the rustoleum flourescent spray paint, but I'll be looking for some marine epoxy.
I'm still looking for caps that fit perfectly. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
waterfalljay

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used

Sandman said:
Looks very nice. I used a piece of lawn chair leg and very easy to make. Thanks....
Thank YOU for offering your honest opinions and information amidst the endless barage of water hunting questions here on TNet, and your patience when the queries become painfully repetitive! :hello2:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[/quote]
Going to try it out in a fresh water lake tomorrow. Can you tell any difference between the Excal II & The 1000?
Thanks for all the good wishes. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

The only difference is a Slimline coil on the Excal II and a hot paint job. The battery is improved too. I don't think it is necessary to place plugs on the ends of the tube. Without plugs water and sand just wash on through. :thumbsup:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks for the idea, just made mine up today. works much better than hip mounting. i'll have to try it out in the water this saturday.

Attachments

• P1040198.JPG
    P1040198.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 430
OP
OP
waterfalljay

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used

etrac007 said:
thanks for the idea, just made mine up today. works much better than hip mounting. i'll have to try it out in the water this saturday.
Looks good! I tried mine in a creek today and really like having the controls on my chest! :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only downside to chest mounting is my paint is wearing off on one side from touching the wet suit or tee shirt. I securely tape the cable up the left side of the shaft up to the handle. I feel this way it cuts water resistance.

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000

etrac007 said:

I will have to give this a go... I have been skeptical about moving the pod away from the shaft up to now, but during a week of every-day hunting I could only last 4 hours per day before my shoulder was completely tired. You then lose interest and waste time by not controlling the coil properly, and walking too fast to desperately try and cover more ground... So I think after the second week (not one after the other) of tiring myself out I am convinced. A diagonal shoulder strap will probably be best for me.

Anyway, will give it a go. Thanks for all the pics that help other out with ideas! :notworthy:

HH, OD ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread