I can search my families old home place!

kneedpnholes

Sep 17, 2005
Eastman, Ga.
;D I am so happy! I got in touch with the part of my family that owns my familes old home place that dates from 1865! They gave me carte blanche in writing to detect anywhere I want on the property with me keeping anything I find unless it is a sentimental item like an inscribed pocket watch or anything similar! I had to do alot of research and from personal accounts this old mansion is built around the original cabin which is now the central kitchen! This is an old southern mansion that has fallen into disrepair and will cost too much to restore. It even has a old whipping post behind the "big" house that was never used for the slaves! It turns out from my research that when all the slaves were freed, that none left! If they were single then the women lived in one barracks and the males in another. If they were married they were given a cow and chickens so the family could have milk and eggs............A house was built for them and they had a small piece of land to use for a house garden for growing veggies and stuff. My ancestors rocked! I had no idea they were such good people! I have been told from living family members that my Aunt Tass did not trust banks so she had her hubby make all his transactions in coin. And then she and he would bury it in the yard around the house! There are numerous accounts of the slaves seeing a lantern light late at night out in the grounds around the "big" house! I plan on gridding the entire grounds and going over it very carefully so as not to miss anything! There are numerous old oaks and magnolias around the house where someone could have buried something .........such as ........20 paces between corner of house and old oak tree! There is no telling what I could find here! All I have is a Wally world bought Bounty Hunter so I can`t discriminate. I need help here........What should I pin point on? Word has it that almost everything buried was in old mason jars and wooden chests. In 2 weeks I go back over there to start my planning phase. I was even given the keys to the house in case I need to get inside! ;D Never know what I would find in there! It has the wrap around front porch with double entrance doors leading into sitting parlors on both sides! There is a huge candelabra just inside the front door and it actually leads you directlly into the "old cabin" which is now the kitchen of the mansion. I plan on searching the exterior and the interior of the house. I am sorry that I have no pics to post as of now but I had no camera with me when I visited the place last weekend. I will post some pics when I go over there in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck! I have a detectorists dream of a place to hunt and all I have is a cheap wally world detector. I will do my and its best and use my head with whatever I find. ...................Clark!

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Good luck with the search and like you said grid it off and search all of it. Dig EVERY signal! Don't leave anything inside the house unturned, check the floorboards,walls, dirt floor if it has one. If you find any slave id tags, those can be worth a lot of $$$. Post some pictures and I hope your search time is not limited.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome site to detect! Dig it all! You might want to get one of those small fold up type hand saws for getting through roots. Check the area for old outhouses and dig them out. HH and let us know how you do, Mike

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
looks like you have a place that will last a lifetime of searches. don't worry about your detector. When you find that first gold cache you can buy a better one and it will be like hunting the place for the first time all over again with the added depth. If you need any help let me know I have some long lost relatives in GA that I could move in with for a while. now what were their names again?

Tim

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sounds like a great adventure! Cant wait to see pics of the place and your future finds! Dont worry about BH...Its a good machine,just learn it well, and it will find great stuff for you. Just dig every signal...think like your ancestors would have and make sure you grid map it all,just like Pennyworth mentioned...
Need help...just holler...I am sure a few of us would come running!

Calico Jack

Sep 20, 2005
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Best of luck to you. This is the type of opportunity some of us will never see.

Absolutely dig everything. It's probably a good thing that you can't discriminate with your detector. I am pretty sure that a lot of slavery-related items would be iron, and you would not want to skip that stuff in favor of just looking for coins.

There had darn well better be pictures of both the grounds and the finds... we are living vicariously through you here...

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
sounds awesome,, and so did you're ancestors,, wtg i hope you do well,, can't wait to see..

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....i recomend that you get a pinpionter soon....

Good luck
-GC

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like a dream site to me!

good luck!

i found a lot with my BH, so I wouldn't worry about that, pinpointer would definitely speed up recovery time tho

icegator

Apr 22, 2006
Maurice Louisiana
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x
good luck with your search please keep us updated on your finds cause many of us will never have the opportunity that you have!! Dig everything. HH

ice

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed reading your post and the family history. Sounds like a promising site ! Keep us posted and looking forward to some pics.

Huntin' 59er

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
sounds like you have an adventure ahead of you.... :) i started with a bh and some advice..scan the same ground
from different directions,i founds alot of good relics and coins...also i would concentrate on the front yard.back in the old days folks spent their time in the front being the nearest house was far down the road and the standard porch,side walks,trees,cellars,outhouse,large trees(for shade)being there was.nt any a/c.......i would also grid off sections and cover them well,anyway hope this helps ,if you need any help just hollar!!!!!! lol.

keep diggin

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Clark........sounds like the place we all dream of........Good Luck!!

Oh yeah, by the way ...... I got three weeks vacation laying around and I know how drive 95 South ...so just call if and when you need help

DK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread