Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know that several Equinox users that own and have used the more expensive models and like the way they identify potential targets say that the Nox is lacking in this area. I guess that I would have to agree with them on this. Don't get me wrong, the Nox is doable but I would like a little more to work with. I dug two silvers yesterday that read under 30, actually 28-29. I was using Park 2, 50 tone, tracking and multi freq. One of the silvers was a 64 quarter, the other was a sterling catholic pendant. I dug clad quarters that read in the 30s. I am still trying to wrap my head around the potential gold being as low as 1,2,3 etc. I did dig a lot of foil and pieces of cans that were from 6-10. I dug a lot of 12s-13s-14s-15s and 16s that were pull tabs or pull rings. I managed two nickles out of two trips. My one narrow silver 925 ring was around 24 on the 600. the other targets that were in the 30s ended up being crushed cans. Having said this, I still like the machine and it is a fun machine. I dug pennies as low as 16 up to 24. I finally got my shaft tight enough that I don't have any wobble problems. Now, I have macular degeneration pretty bad in my left eye and sometimes struggle with seeing or reading some things but I didn't even look at what the screen protector said across the bottom. I just grabbed one (thought they all were the same) and put it on. Nope, was not English but it is now, makes a big difference too LOL. I guess my arm is getting stronger as I am able to use it a little bit longer now. I am still amazed to have a ML with these features for this price. This is an awesome machine and for the price, very hard to beat if you can. DL

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that several Equinox users that own and have used the more expensive models and like the way they identify potential targets say that the Nox is lacking in this area. I guess that I would have to agree with them on this. Don't get me wrong, the Nox is doable but I would like a little more to work with. I dug two silvers yesterday that read under 30, actually 28-29. I was using Park 2, 50 tone, tracking and multi freq. One of the silvers was a 64 quarter, the other was a sterling catholic pendant. I dug clad quarters that read in the 30s. I am still trying to wrap my head around the potential gold being as low as 1,2,3 etc. I did dig a lot of foil and pieces of cans that were from 6-10. I dug a lot of 12s-13s-14s-15s and 16s that were pull tabs or pull rings. I managed two nickles out of two trips. My one narrow silver 925 ring was around 24 on the 600. the other targets that were in the 30s ended up being crushed cans. Having said this, I still like the machine and it is a fun machine. I dug pennies as low as 16 up to 24. I finally got my shaft tight enough that I don't have any wobble problems. Now, I have macular degeneration pretty bad in my left eye and sometimes struggle with seeing or reading some things but I didn't even look at what the screen protector said across the bottom. I just grabbed one (thought they all were the same) and put it on. Nope, was not English but it is now, makes a big difference too LOL. I guess my arm is getting stronger as I am able to use it a little bit longer now. I am still amazed to have a ML with these features for this price. This is an awesome machine and for the price, very hard to beat if you can. DL

Hi Dirtlooter,

Yes, as a Minelab user I am very disappointed in the Equinox numbers. I'm used to being able to correctly ID coins at a consistent rate. With the Nox, you can tell zinc from copper most of the time but a lot of stuff rings in the 23-25 range. It's not as precise as other models on nickels, either, and I am not getting any more depth..... maybe less. The strength of this detector may be it's jewelry and gold capabilities... time will tell.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they should of gave us a choice to have 50 Conductivity.
They could of added that to the software easy enough.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinoxes are under $1k. The 3030 is $2500. There is your answer. They just made a different animal, that's all. They were/are competing with the AT Max and Pros.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Equinoxes are under $1k. The 3030 is $2500. There is your answer. They just made a different animal, that's all. They were/are competing with the AT Max and Pros.

Yep my guess is that we will see a new machine next year with better ID, waterproof earphones, GPS, etc. and replace the etrac/ctx. The ID on the nox is ok but definitely not even close to the CTX for ID. I had two silver rings come up as 16 on the nox. Pennies from the low teens up to 26, etc. Then in Pinpoint the number seems to drop. I dig everything so ID doesn't matter much but yea your chances of passing up good finds if you are relying on it are definitely higher than their other machines.

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nox doesn't find anything my v3i wont find. But I can take the nox to different enviroments more easily.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people will like it. Whether you find it satisfactory or not will heavily depend on what you used before.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are exciting times with computer technology finally creeping into the metal detector world. For now, i am not impressed with the NOX. If it had the ID capabilities along with the balance and sturdy build of the CTX I would abandon all other detectors and fight tooth and nail for it. I am sure one is in the works at Minelab and when that happens, i call dibs here and now! Everyone else can get in line behind me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smokey is correct, NOX was never designed to compete with the CTX 3030, it is a mid range water proof detector, $600 less than an excal and $1600 less than a CTX 3030. For the price it is a great detector.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still predict the Great Detector War of 2018 between the various manufacturers before the end of this year. Break out your popcorn and enjoy the ride.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey is correct, NOX was never designed to compete with the CTX 3030, it is a mid range water proof detector, $600 less than an excal and $1600 less than a CTX 3030. For the price it is a great detector.

I beg to differ...Minelab specifically stated the Equinox would obsolete all other metal detectors. Now its mid range? How can that be?

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone knows a lot of things can affect the vdi including soil and corrosion and how a coin is lying in the hole. For people that never look at vdi's what difference does it make if a target reads 8 or 39 especially if you hunt by tone.
Heck I have dug pennies that read 26 all the time and dimes as low as 23. Quarters usually hit in the 28 - 30 range. Silver quarters 31 or 33.. I hunt by tone but always glance at the vdi when I start to wiggle for location.

For the price of the Equinox you cannot buy a better detector.. The V3i is at least $1300 without wireless headphones.. Not a fair comparison.

I have almost 200 hours on my Equinox and no detector has better separation in a trashy park. I have never used a detector with the edge of the coil that is so hot.

Seriously you can hear the roundness it the tone once you use it enough.. I use 50 tones now even though 5 tones is good.

Until anyone has at least 100 hours on any detector you honestly can't compare it to another detector.. Each model of detector has its niche and will perform better in some areas than another detector but over all the Equinox has found a happy medium to cover most every detector on the market.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beg to differ...Minelab specifically stated the Equinox would obsolete all other metal detectors. Now its mid range? How can that be?

Yeah, but to be fair, don't all manufacturers of most any product make hyped claims? Always take those with a grain of salt.

With my military discount, I paid $551.00 to my front door for the Equinox600.(I keep hearing its a under 1000.00 detector, for me it was darn near an under $500 detector!!!) If there is a better value out there with more options(waterproof, wireless headphones, multifrequency, rechargeable etc) and will outperform this for less money, i'm all ears.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, you probably shouldn't have quoted Minelab's insinuation that my Tesoro Cibola is obsolete as it not only single frequency but beep and go. I think the Cibola looks at this website sometimes, late at night, when I'm not watching.....Now it may make me throw back the GW button it nailed Sunday!:laughing7:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah well your Tes does not have shaft issues and all the other bad press the nox has been getting smokey. LOL

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always look at new machines when they come out. They all look SO NICE. All they are all advertised as the "Superman" of detectors. However, I would be an idiot to go buy one of each! I'd never have the time to get to know one or the other. Some of the ads are very sharp. "Bad press" is relative, I wouldn't worry about it. I assume ANY new machine with a defect will be taken care of under warranty. Now if we all go buy a machine we just don't plain like, well, there's always someone on Ebay who will buy it. I have done that more than once over the years.

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe Minelab modeled the Nox after the Deus because of it’s huge success. I am guessing they were losing market share and needed to fill that niche. I wasn’t swayed by their sales pitch.. what got me was reading other detectorist’s raves about how deep it would go and that it opened up pounded parks. Many reports of deep silver unmasked including an article where a guy digs a Walker under a picnic table in a heavily pounded park!

I only have about 24-30 hours on it so time will tell. I like the light weight, big screen and wireless headphones. Tones are pleasant. However, I was looking for improved performance where the rubber meets the road and that hasn’t happened.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a Minelab since 1999, I have no problem with the numbers since I rely more on the audio than the numbers. Way too many factors can distort VDI numbers. My 800 has been hitting targets as deep as my Etrac or CTX in my ground. I am completely satisfied with my decision to get the Nox, I've had only a small issue and that was using a dust cover on the control housing on the hottest day of the year at high noon. Once I took the cover off, the issue resolved itself.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other

My Wife has Mac degen. She gets a shot in her eye every month to slow down the degeneration. Good Luck on your sight :) .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread