I cannt believe what I found on my 1st day!

D-Tek

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2012
Various places
Detector(s) used
9-Function
Metal Detector
Model 67378
Cost $45 (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cann't believe what I found on my 1st day!

12/07/2012 Hello everyone. About seven years ago, I purchased my first metal detector. It was a toy version I picked up at yard sale for my kids. We used it in our back yard and found that it worked and was a lot of fun. I always wanted to make metal detecting my hobby but, never got to it. I now have the time and last month I went and purchased a new one for myself and on October 2, 2012 I finally started. I couldn't believe what I found on my very first day! These Items look to be made of some type of molded metal, maybe lead or aluminum. I have more items to post but I didn't have the time so I'm posting these first. Item#121002-1 Looks like a Horse's head, #121002-2 Looks like a Dolphin, #121002-3 Looks like a Eagle head. If anyone has any idea what these are and what kind of metal they are please inform, thanks. #121002-1 (2).JPG #121002-1 (3).JPG #121002-1 (4).JPG #121002-1 (5).JPG #121002-1 (6).JPG #121002-1 (7).JPG #121002-1.JPG #121002-2 (2).JPG #121002-2 (3).JPG #121002-2 (4).JPG #121002-2 (5).JPG #121002-2 (6).JPG #121002-2 (7).JPG #121002-2 (8).JPG #121002-2.JPG #121002-3 (2).JPG #121002-3 (3).JPG #121002-3 (4).JPG #121002-3.JPG

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lead is soft and heavy, aluminum is very light. Gold and silver are heavy. Gold is yellow and silver is silver, gold doesnt corrode, copper, bronze, brass all have copper in them and corrode green. Silver usually corrodes black, gold does not corrode. Hard to say what you have, pics make it look gold, but some look silver. Was this found where silver could be found? Or is it a dump site? River? Let us know. I am sure we can help. Welcome!

Last edited:

Bunk

Nov 28, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
ML 4000-ML X70
Those look like nuggets to me. Does your area have a history gold nuggets?
Bunk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's wrong with this picture? Who is tugging on my leg here? ???

Hoppus

Aug 20, 2012
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's wrong with this picture? Who is tugging on my leg here? ???

the only thing i see wrong with this story is a "rookie" with an inventory system for the first three things he finds. And the "they look like animals" thing when they could definitely be of some value. However there are people that are that meticulous and silly (my wife being one of them)....

The formations, coloring, and lack of corrosion as mentioned before by steve definitely points towards gold...

My personal opinion is that you should go get yourself a graduated cylinder and a decent jewelers scale for a little money. Note the mass of the nugget in grams using your scale. Fill the beaker with enough distilled water so that your metal will be completely submerged. Note the displacement in milliliters before you place the material in the beaker and after. 1 milliliter = 1 cubic centimeter. Now you will want to take the mass in grams and divide it by the volume in cubic centimeters. This will give you the density of your material. Divide this newly found density by the density of your distilled water at room temperature which is about .998 grams per cubic centimeter. This will give you the true specific gravity of your material. Take your number and compare it to this list of materials and you should have a very good idea of what you are dealing with. If they are gold, get back out there immediately haha.

The person is one of two "people". Either he is trolling for a response such as Soloman's or is genuinely looking for information. Give him the information if you want but don't bite on the possible b.s....that's the last thing this forum needs anymore of...

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these nuggets actually this color by eye sight or is it a camera reflection/reaction? Ive seen chunks of lead show up golden when photographed,Just a question. But a few of those pictures make me think gold buttons from scrap gold by a home refiner.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the only thing i see wrong with this story is a "rookie" with an inventory system for the first three things he finds. And the "they look like animals" thing when they could definitely be of some value. However there are people that are that meticulous and silly (my wife being one of them)....

The formations, coloring, and lack of corrosion as mentioned before by steve definitely points towards gold...

My personal opinion is that you should go get yourself a graduated cylinder and a decent jewelers scale for a little money. Note the mass of the nugget in grams using your scale. Fill the beaker with enough distilled water so that your metal will be completely submerged. Note the displacement in milliliters before you place the material in the beaker and after. 1 milliliter = 1 cubic centimeter. Now you will want to take the mass in grams and divide it by the volume in cubic centimeters. This will give you the density of your material. Divide this newly found density by the density of your distilled water at room temperature which is about .998 grams per cubic centimeter. This will give you the true specific gravity of your material. Take your number and compare it to this list of materials and you should have a very good idea of what you are dealing with. If they are gold, get back out there immediately haha.

The person is one of two "people". Either he is trolling for a response such as Soloman's or is genuinely looking for information. Give him the information if you want but don't bite on the possible b.s....that's the last thing this forum needs anymore of...

Or you could just go to any local jeweler and have them to a "scratch test" free of charge..

Hoppus

Aug 20, 2012
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could just go to any local jeweler and have them to a "scratch test" free of charge..

That's all well and good for jewelry since you pretty much need to use chemicals, but you're just being lazy at the point where you are walking in and asking someone to do something for free that you could easily do on your own.

OP
OP
D

D-Tek

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2012
Various places
Detector(s) used
9-Function
Metal Detector
Model 67378
Cost $45 (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pictures I posted look more yellow than what they actually are. I apologize for that, my digital camera is older and has its share of abuse and the day I took the pictures and posted then on this website was about around 2:00am and I wanted to get them in. I will check the settings on my camera. Regarding your reply... I found these pieces at the beach near in my area. I first I thought they were lead because of the dull-dark gray color and had no shine. I polished one of the pieces with metal polisher and a soft cloth and I couldn't believe how different it looked now! From the color that is exposed, clean shinny metal, and because they are also very light in weight, I think they might be either silver or aluminum . Thank you for your help, reply and your warm welcome.

OP
OP
D

D-Tek

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2012
Various places
Detector(s) used
9-Function
Metal Detector
Model 67378
Cost $45 (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really now the gold history of my area, but thanks for the tip, I will do some research.
The pictures I posted look more yellow than what they actually are. I apologize for that, my digital camera is older and has its share of abuse and the day I took the pictures and posted then on this website was about around 2:00am and I wanted to get them in. I will check the settings on my camera. Regarding your reply... I found these pieces at the beach near in my area. I first I thought they were lead because of the dull-dark gray color and had no shine. I polished one of the pieces with metal polisher and a soft cloth and I couldn't believe how different it looked now! From the color that is exposed, clean shinny metal, and because they are also very light in weight, I think they might be either silver or aluminum . Thank you for your help, and your reply.

OP
OP
D

D-Tek

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2012
Various places
Detector(s) used
9-Function
Metal Detector
Model 67378
Cost $45 (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your replies. I’m really looking for information . Even though I am new to metal detecting, I take this new hobby very serious and because after spending hours looking at these new founded pieces and noticing that most of these pieces have some king of odd shapes that resemble animals, birds, or the face of a human. I personally think they might have some historical value. So I started the inventory system. That's what I see that they do in the movies. lol. My digital camera is older and had its share of abuse. I assure you. I apologized for the way the pictures came out, the background is supposed to be white, when uploaded them but it was already late and I wanted to get the pictures in. I will check the camera setting. I will try to post new pics. Thank you all.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold tint added a bit of excitement! The pic of 02-3 does resemble a natural nugget of some sort. The way that it is hammered flat suggests softness but you say it is light so that detracts from it being lead. Aluminum, I think is more brittle.

The specific gravity lesson provided by Hoppus was a good one and would solve this quick, I'm archiving it locally for when I have need.

peace,
cc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread