I cheat with Brinks boxes

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Whenever I get Brinks boxes that have the bubble wrap rolls, I always take a preview peek at the rolls to see if there are any white rims showing. Got around to the 3 boxes that I picked up from last Saturday, and sure enough there was AG dimes of 2, 3, and 4 silvers in them. However, within the box that had 4, as I was date searching, I found 2 more extremely dirty/stained dimes, to make a total of 6 in that box. When I cheat like this, it reminds me of eating an OREO cookie, whereas you always twist off the cookie portion to get at the creamy inside first, then eat the cookie. Can't do this with solid paper rolls. That's why I date search all my coins.

Upvote 0

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I cheat like this, it reminds me of eating an OREO cookie, whereas you always twist off the cookie portion to get at the creamy inside first, then eat the cookie. Can't do this with solid paper rolls. That's why I date search all my coins.

Nice score Dozer! But it sounds more like Bacon to me than Oreos. You know how you can check the back of the bacon package to be sure you're getting the package with the least fat and the most meat... kinda like bubble wrap dimes.

There aren't two things that I love much more more... bacon and silver

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I give you credit. Date searching times must take a lot of patience and persistence. You should try finding a way to improve your edge searching so that it isn't necessary to date check. If you get good enough at edge checking you will not miss the dirty rim silver dimes. Here is what I do:

I do look for the shiny white rims that signify a silver, but I also look at every rim in the roll. I'm not looking for a white rim, but rather I check for the distinct brown line that signifies the split between copper and nickel on clad dimes. Anything that is missing that distinct line gets date checked. With this method I do end up checking dates on approximately one coin out of every two or three rolls, but it is much faster than date checking every coin and it also guarantees that no silver coins are slipping through to the dump bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread