"I checked for silver"

reilly0458

Jan 5, 2011
"I checked for silver"

Went to the Citizens in my local Wal-Mart, as they are open on Sunday's, to pick up $300 in crw dimes. After purchasing the dimes I asked a teller I don't normally deal with if he had any half dollars. His response: "Yeah I have about 11 dollars worth, but I already checked for silver." I scanned the loose halves and saw that he had obviously not checked well enough. I bought the 11 dollars in halves after explaining that I had some dates to fill in my half book. Waited to get to my car before searching the halves. Out of the 11 dollars my take was as follows

- 6 40%'s (1-'65, 4-'68, 1-'60)
- 1 90% (1952 Franklin) :headbang:

Anyway, wish me luck on the dimes, thanks for reading.

-Reilly

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "I checked for silver"

I understand that some people are unaware of 40%ers, but if you're looking for silver, how do you miss a Franklin in only 22 halves to search??

Nice little score! :icon_thumleft:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1960 40%er? wow nice find. :laughing9:

Do you mean 1970 40%er? if so, great score!!!

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
R

reilly0458

Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. When he was checking his count he laid them out in 1 dollar increments, the Franklin was on top with the bell showing....so idk...I just took the halves and calmly walked away...I'll be puzzled by this one for a long time to come, but hey :coffee2:, I'll be happy to take there "non-silver" Ben Franklins' off there hands.

...and I meant to put 1-69', not 60'

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man, he didn't check at all if he missed a franklin. A lot of tellers will tell people there's no silver in the halves they get in hopes that the customer won't buy them. I still buy them too. Nice find!

good luck in dimes

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timbobwey said:
Man, he didn't check at all if he missed a franklin. A lot of tellers will tell people there's no silver in the halves they get in hopes that the customer won't buy them. I still buy them too. Nice find!

good luck in dimes

Exactly. Once my teller ever went further:
First, "we don't have any, we shipped out". That was when I called on the phone. I went there anyway.
After I got there,
She said: Do you have an account with us?
me: Yes, of course;
While she was checking my account:
She said: We've checked for silver;
me: OK, I still buy them; I collect many stuffes not just silver;
She said: they are loose, not rolled;
me: No problem, I will buy them all;
she said: there are a lot, over $1000;
me: No problem, I will buy them all; I have over $5000 in my account. I will buy up to my account balance minus $5.
She reluctantly went to the vault to get the coins;
It was $640 (lying b@#%h ::)) and most of them were in rolls (lying b^&*h ::)). This time she can't lie anymore because she has to balance the vault.
The result: one walker, two Franklins, one 64, over 100 40%ers.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Many tellers know about the 40%, mine lay them out for me if they have a few. Reason being, if the only game in town only offers $1 ea, it's just not worth their time (tellers) to keep em.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yinzi, I've had them tell me that over the phone too. In fact, just the other day I called a bank, they said they had none. I went in, they had over 250 dollars worth rolled. I found a ton of proofs, and that's when I found my 70S and S, and some silver. That's why I don't ever call banks anymore, I just stop at a bunch of them on road trips, because some tellers are cherry pickin liars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions