I could tell there was Silver being dumped.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
So I made a trip down to one of my bag pickups. and while waiting for my turn in line a young man is dumping coins into the coincounter and I imediatly heard the sound of silver and the machine made that clunk sound when there is a jam. so I rushed over to help. Well really to see if there was silver and there shure was! Quarters, Walking Liberty's, Peace dollars, Commeritives, Ikes I mean wow! I told the kid that he can't put the big dollars in and started pulling them out of the hopper what I could. Trying to be helpfull. There was a mixed bag of keepers in there.

I told him I would buy everthing he had and his mom draped in a head scarf walked over and spoke to him in their native tounge. The boy was around 14 and I told her that I would buy all the coins. she said "oh no he supposed to seprate dhem to keep" and I immediatly say I will give you 10 x face for all the coins that are older than 1964 and she balked.

I just rescued silver coins from getting dumped "At Face" and offer a fair price on the spot 10 x what they were getting a minut ago and suddenly im a bad guy? Go figure.

I walked out empty handed. GRRRRRRRR. But they did accept my phone number.

Mojo

Upvote 0

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The phone number was positive news. Perhaps you will get a response.

Will this bank allow you to buy the bags?

apush :read2:

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I hope they don't use your phone number to find your home. The easiest way for foreign folks to get old U.S. silver coins would be to steal them. Probably why they were being dumped in a coin sorter.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any way possible to get those bags? Would be worth doing what ever means you can to get them.

They wouldnt have happened to have been Arabs were they? I know you live in MI and there is a large population of them up there.

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
AGCoinHunter said:
Any way possible to get those bags? Would be worth doing what ever means you can to get them.

They wouldn't have happened to have been Arabs were they? I know you live in MI and there is a large population of them up there.

Yes they were Arabic. Just about every gas station and Liquor store around here is owned or operated by Foreign people in my area. I'm sure they got them in their store. most of my finds come from deposits made at banks buy liquor stores or gas stations. If you have seen some of my posts I find lots of Aribic coins.

dave5710 said:
I hope they don't use your phone number to find your home. The easiest way for foreign folks to get old U.S. silver coins would be to steal them. Probably why they were being dumped in a coin sorter.

Lets hope that this is not the case. I feel that this is a dim view of our Foreign friends. I Believe that the phone # request was just to get rid of me and am pretty sure it's sitting in the trash can next to the door of the bank.

Trust is a 2 way street and I'm pretty sure they didn't trust me as much as you don't trust them.

Mojo

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
coinmojo said:
AGCoinHunter said:

They wouldn't have happened to have been Arabs were they? I know you live in MI and there is a large population of them up there.

Yes they were Arabic. Just about every gas station and Liquor store around here is owned or operated by Foreign people in my area. I'm sure they got them in their store. most of my finds come from deposits made at banks buy liquor stores or gas stations. If you have seen some of my posts I find lots of Aribic coins.

dave5710 said:

Lets hope that this is not the case. I feel that this is a dim view of our Foreign friends. I Believe that the phone # request was just to get rid of me and am pretty sure it's sitting in the trash can next to the door of the bank.

Trust is a 2 way street and I'm pretty sure they didn't trust me as much as you don't trust them.

Mojo
You should of said to them as you parted "allah akbar" which means allah is the greatest of gods all Muslims appreciate that, it is like saying Heil hitler to a neo-nazi or skinhead you get their respect. ;D

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
coinmojo said:
I told him I would buy everthing he had and his mom draped in a head scarf walked over and spoke to him in their native tounge. The boy was around 14 and I told her that I would buy all the coins. she said "oh no he supposed to seprate dhem to keep" and I immediatly say I will give you 10 x face for all the coins that are older than 1964 and she balked.
Mojo

If he was supposed to "separate them to keep", WTF was he doing at a coin sorter?
Was he expecting it to bag the sorted coins for them to take home?
Wow...

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Wow mojo. So close to. The only thing I think could have happend was that your eagerness and high (but def. fair) offer alerted them to the fact that they had something worth selling. Now on the other side of the coin they would be hard pressed to get 10x face for anything before 64 from a dealer. Better luck next time.

Golden Silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Now that i think about it... you should have let him turn it in at face value. At least then you would have a chance of getting the stuff in the bags or later in boxes. Now they could sell the coins for more money which may go towards some sort of anti-american extra coricular activities. :dontknow:

Golden Silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
golden silver said:
Wow mojo. So close to. The only thing I think could have happend was that your eagerness and high (but def. fair) offer alerted them to the fact that they had something worth selling. Now on the other side of the coin they would be hard pressed to get 10x face for anything before 64 from a dealer. Better luck next time.

Golden Silver

Dealers online (the larger ones) and around here pay more than 10X face for 90%.

Mojo should have just let them dump and then got the bags from the bank. Face value silver. Let this be a lesson to you all and remember kids, "no good deed goes unpunished". ;D

Jim

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
thats very rude! they should have at least gifted u a dime for rescuing all of that silver!!! PS u reached down into the machine???
2 things:
1. didnt yo mama teach i not to reach into monsters mouths??? (especially ones that eat silver???)
2. how is it possible??? isnt the slot to small to put ur hand down in???

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
CHAINCHOMP said:
thats very rude! they should have at least gifted u a dime for rescuing all of that silver!!! PS u reached down into the machine???
2 things:
1. didnt yo mama teach i not to reach into monsters mouths??? (especially ones that eat silver???)
2. how is it possible??? isnt the slot to small to put ur hand down in???

This particular machine has, what amounts to a bucket with spinning disk at the bottom, that feeds the coins into the approprate slots. When stopped it is simply a bucket.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions