I Couldn't Find A Wheat Penny If My Life Depended On It.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to an older site this morning, I'd say the homes located around the site that detected were built around 1915. The site is used as a water retention basin/Park. I figured that there should be some old coins laying around there somewhere.

I started swinging and digging, but all I was finding was a bunch of clad coins. I was hoping that I could at least find some wheat pennies to give me some hope that there might be some silver there as well. I nearly gave up on the site, but I finally got my search coil over a 1924 Mercury Dime. It must have been on edge because the signal wasn't all that great and the EMI from the power lines was giving me fits.

A short while later I switched detectors and got my search coil over a 1914 Barber Dime. Again not a real good signal and I wasn't digging anything over 5 or 6 inches deep, most were at 4 inches. The next time that I hit that site, I'll take my CZ-5 and see how it handles the EMI.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    797.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    799.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 27
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice silver recoveries! :occasion14:

Al.relics

Jan 28, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Nox 800, Whites DFX e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Barber dime, great hunt. Congrats!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Silver finds. Good luck next trip, you won't know until you try it.

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, "tabman".....Seriously?......I Love SILVER coins, and that Barber & Mercury dime is AWESOME .....and if I NEVER dug another "wheat cent" but continued to dig the SILVER coins like you just did -- I would consider myself VERY LUCKY.......the THING that most of us like about digging "wheat cents" is that it is a "clue" that SILVER coins may be present(as YOU mentioned)......that is why most of us like to find "wheat cents". In any case you WILL find many, many wheat cents in the future if you are digging SILVER coins. GOOD LUCK & Happy Hunting.

BILL
Northern "Panhandle" FLORIDA

Last edited:

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver works just fine. Good job.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice work. I get about 1 or 2 silvers a year. I know how you feel. I hunt about twice a week, every week of the year. Congrats on your finds.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No sweat. The wheat cents will come.....until then I reckon you'll just have to continue digging barbers and merc's. Well Done and Continued Success to you.:icon_thumleft:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the silver dimes Tabman. I still take my CZ 5 out in certain circumstances. That is still one nice detector.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabman, that looks like an incredible day in the field to me, Congrats!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Barber Tabman! You do know how to find that silver:icon_thumleft:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds! Also interesting site would not have thought about a retention pond (I would have thought it was modern dirt) Why not bring the Cibola? It shouldn't be affected by EMI

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day with a barber and merc is a great day in my book! As for the wheat pennies? I have been collecting Wheat pennies since i was a kid. My goal has always been to complete the collection without ever purchasing a single penny. I don't think it will ever happen in my lifetime but maybe my children or their children will accomplish what i started.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver, Congrats!
Thanks!

No wheat cents , no problem - as long as
you're finding Barbers and Mercs !
Wheat pennies keep me fired up to keep digging for silver coins. Finding a bunch of clad coins makes me want to move to another location. Now that I know old silver is there, I'll pound the hell out of that site.

Nice work. I get about 1 or 2 silvers a year. I know how you feel. I hunt about twice a week, every week of the year. Congrats on your finds.
Thanks! It's really all about location. If silver isn't there, you're not going to find any.

Double score on the Silver,,
Congratulations
Thanks!

No sweat. The wheat cents will come.....until then I reckon you'll just have to continue digging barbers and merc's. Well Done and Continued Success to you.:icon_thumleft:
Thankfully, I found those 2 silver coins before giving up on the site.

Nice job on the silver dimes Tabman. I still take my CZ 5 out in certain circumstances. That is still one nice detector.
Thanks! My newly acquired CZ-5 has found me 2 Barber coins so far at really hard pounded sites.

Tabman, that looks like an incredible day in the field to me, Congrats!
Thanks! I get lucky every once in awhile.

Very nice Barber Tabman! You do know how to find that silver:icon_thumleft:
Thanks! I try to find locations that others have overlooked. Iffy sites seem to produce the most and great looking sites usually produce the least.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Finds! Also interesting site would not have thought about a retention pond (I would have thought it was modern dirt) Why not bring the Cibola? It shouldn't be affected by EMI
Thanks! As a retired land developer I could tell that the retention ponds were put in when the houses were built around 1915. You know I just might throw the Cibola in the car because it sure does a great job handling EMI, especially if I get a permission and the yard isn't too trashy.

Any day with a barber and merc is a great day in my book! As for the wheat pennies? I have been collecting Wheat pennies since i was a kid. My goal has always been to complete the collection without ever purchasing a single penny. I don't think it will ever happen in my lifetime but maybe my children or their children will accomplish what i started.

Thanks! It would be your luck that the kids will take those old coins and go out and buy some candy. It's been done before. lol

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions