Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I COULDN'T FIND A SINGLE CLAD COIN!!

Yesterday I met a friend from Upstate New York. We managed to find some good parking and then ventured into the woods. It took about 35 minutes to find the first cellar hole. We both started finding iron. Then a wheat penny here and a Wheat Penny there. We came across the remains of the main house and few cellar holes from the outlying structures. Probably servant quarters, sheds, root cellars, and outhouses. According to my research, construction of the Main House began in 1804.
I found a small area that I think may have been used as a dump. Out of this spot came a small brass oval piece that I think was a pocket picture frame. I also recovered a brass buckle that I think was used on ribbon rather than leather. It seems too delicate to handle leather.
I'll post some additional pictures in the "What Is It?" Forum. Any help in Identifying these items would be appreciated.
There was also a small threaded brass item that reminds me of the mirror that a dentist sticks in you mouth.
At the end of the 5 hour hunt, I was able to recover 7 wheat pennies, (19, 21, 41, 42, 44, 47, & 57), and a 1943 Mercury Dime.
I COULDN'T FIND A SINGLE CLAD COIN!!

IMG_5545.JPGIMG_5538.JPG

IMG_5544.JPGIMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5541.JPGIMG_5540.JPG

IMG_5550.JPGIMG_5551.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 26
I think I have two of those brass oval pieces. I could never figure out what they are.. Now I'm curious. Congrats on the finds

Nice looking Merc ATW. I just knew by your title there was going to be a silver in the pic.

Nice post!! Congrats on the silver, bet you have a nice spot there, keep searching! Congrats and HH

A nice hunt, cool relics and silver! :occasion14:

congrats on the finds AND for being out in the woods. that is how i roll also!

You weren't trying hard enough!! :laughing7:

That looks like it was one heck of a good time!! Lots of unusual relics, a little wheat and a piece of silver......that rates high in my book. Congratulations, atw!!

Great relics. I like finding the odd pieces. Finding them is just the beginning. Next comes the fun of research and trying to figure them out!

Upstate NY on a fall day hunting a cellar hole in the woods and making some good finds. Sounds like a good day to me. Ya gotta loveit.

Hi atw; I believe that brass frame was used to hold a Digeuriotype Tin Picture thus placing it in the mid 1800's ok. Nice Find. I like that better than all the other stuff. PEACE:RONB

Hi atw; I believe that brass frame was used to hold a Digeuriotype Tin Picture thus placing it in the mid 1800's ok. Nice Find. I like that better than all the other stuff. PEACE:RONB

Thank you Barker ,, when I saw the retainer tabs and the internal back plate, I knew it was a picture frame.
I have dug tent grommets before and this piece ain't no grommet.
Thanks again.

Nice stuff from a nice looking area, I love hunting in the woods.

Nice to see you getting away form the parks and looking for older sites. I look forward to a hunt that produces coins without any being clad. Looks like a good site and a great time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back