Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joshr29 said:
Figure me for my ignorance. Are you saying that my original bottle is not a lady's leg. The original book from 1906 called it that. I'm not trying to argue. Just a little confused. HH

No, that the one I posted isn't.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Hey bhofcc,

Some folks think these bulge necked English/Irish TOC whiskys are "lady's legs." They're not, as I understand the reference. To be considered a true "lady's leg," the "lady" must have the super elongated neck style that is characteristic of the sort that several people have posted examples.

It's difficult to keep up with collector jargon. I do agree that the essential lady's leg is a stretched neck. There are some "semi-lady's legs" (excuse the term) on collector shelves. Here's a couple from mine:
whiskySquarepairBottle.JPG

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse me if I got a little lost. To close this thread, would mine be considered an authentic full blown lady's leg? Thanks for all the help guys. I just can't believe I dug that along with about 6 other 19th century bottles at only 1.5 feet down! HH ladies and gents.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Josh,

I asked before if you could take some macro shots of the finish and upper neck of this bottle, please. If you can pick up the side seam where it meats the crown finish it could tell us more.

The diamond Illinois Glass Co. mark was first used circa 1900. Please see this excellent article on Dating Illinois Glass.

Your true lady's leg crown cap bottle is a striking anomaly. It is a real transitional bottle, a much older style with the "new" crown cap finish. The elongated neck, where it met the shoulder, was a weak point. They are most often found broken, in the ground.

The Crown Cap, though patented in 1892, seems to have been slowly implemented, and was not in widespread use until the early 1900's.

Feeling any less confused?

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully this helps you. I think this is what you mean. If not ill be happy to take more. I am very much an amateur and that's why I'm referring to y'all. Thanks a bunch for your patience.

Attachments

• image-2021125211.jpg
    image-2021125211.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better pics of the top.

Attachments

• image-2351797806.jpg
    image-2351797806.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2173282961.jpg
    image-2173282961.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 90

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Josh,

Thanks for the additional photos. It looks to me like yours is a tooled crown. It was probably made on a semi-automatic machine, and finished with a lipping tool similar to the one I posted above.

You've found a fantastic transitional bottle, sir. It's a true glass conundrum.

conundrum-2011-poster.jpg

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for all the research and info. I don't know what I would do without this site. My wife hates the fact that I've never sold a single one of my finds but I do have to wonder if this one is worth much? Maybe someone out there will see this thread and have an estimate. I can't believe that was in my attic for a year because it was dug right next to other 20th century bottles. I just figured it was nothing special but I keep everything regardless ( that may have to stop when my attic caves in ). Thanks again for everything you helped me with. Good luck out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread