All Treasure Hunting
Accidentally sent twice.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that its widest point is more than halfway up the length is very interesting.
Not seeing the fine edge work I might expect on a piece with that form..but its not in my hand either.It could even be a work in progress.
Really need to know where it was found. Whether the edges are ground on the lower half also.
Nice balanced biface for sure.
An uncroped photo of both sides also.

Last edited:

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a lance type point. But we need to know the origin to help like Grim said. Painterx7. That looks like something you would find in the parking lot of a bar. A hoe. LOL

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find lots of those lolol good and bad haha but it's interesting the material looks the same

OP
OP
M

mission

Aug 7, 2013
iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point and I are from Iowa and the edge work is there, still Sharp as my lip and tongue know and very fine. It may be ground lightly? To the widest point if it is.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you field wash it? I have to confess I do that sometimes.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked my book for your area. And the closest thing was Alder Complex/Paleo lanceolate.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your point looks very much like a Hell Gap point. Awesome Find! Congratulations! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
M

mission

Aug 7, 2013
iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was one of my first finds the second spring of hunting for me and i knew it was cool but didnt realize how old any of my finds were, and still dont. i love hunting but leave the i.d. part to you for now. i dont wash anything until home and just washed a dozen items from this same spot that i found this spring, get to discover them twice that way :) will post more from that spot soon

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Hell Gap point. Material looks like material found around the Arkansas and Oklahoma area.......................

OP
OP
M

mission

Aug 7, 2013
iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
along way from home then if it is, never seen anything else around here like it

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know they have found Dover chert over a thousand mile away

OP
OP
M

mission

Aug 7, 2013
iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, we kid around about paleo and never thought I had a chance. It came from a high ridge overlooking a river. One of the closest to my house finds. Also a area the last natives camped o n, I hear some second hand stories about a guy that visited them often around 1900 and his son told how he rembered them leaving for good when he was about 5 years old. Wish I had a chance to talk with those guys myself, they had great local knowledge that is forever gone

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Paleo points are frequently found on ridges and vantage points overlooking rivers, lakes and swamps. They needed a good view to plan hunting strategy and drives. Look for large choppers where you found your point, you may find more there over the years. I have deer hunted in Iowa and saw many places along the Skunk that I would like to walk after they were plowed, you`re in prime paleo country. Good hunting!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Paleo points are frequently found on ridges and vantage points overlooking rivers, lakes and swamps. They needed a good view to plan hunting strategy and drives. Look for large choppers where you found your point, you may find more there over the years. I have deer hunted in Iowa and saw many places along the Skunk that I would like to walk after they were plowed, you`re in prime paleo country. Good hunting!

I do agree with you to an extent. All paleo stuff that I have found was on the bank of a water way. However, I can't say they are "frequently" found. Lol! I had to call you out on that one. Cheap joke, I know. Sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread