I dedicate this post to my hunting buddy for taking me to his site.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
I got out with my digging buddy today to a place that he has gotten many Spanish Silver, Early American Copper, and even a few early foreign coins. Grand total I'd say he's gotten over 75 coins of that period here. What did I have? Well up until today, I had one coin, the 1775 or 76 counterfeit King George the Third copper. It always buffaloed us, since until the last 2 trips we were both using Etracs, same program, same audio, same everything except for me using headphones.

Today, the law of averages finally turned around, and in a way that I will have a hard time topping.

We'd been hunting for several hours, nothing to show, when we got into a little patch of old iron we hadn't hit before. I finally found a small cuff flat button, the only thing I dont have pictured. Then I started into a tight little spot with just enough room for a decent swing, and popped out a crusty little pancake that with a little persuasion revealed itself to be a 2 cent piece. I have been extremely fortunate to dig 2 of these thus far.

DSCN0502.jpg

Swing, swing, swing, and swing some more, and 30 or 40 minutes later, in the middle of some briars, and 8 or 9 inches deep, I get a coin that I've been trying and trying to eke out of this site since the first trip, a 1 Reale! Don't know the details yet, but I think I could see 178- and we were pretty sure it had old Charlie the Third as I like to call him, or Carolus the Third in the good book. Here's the pictures of it as is, I won't be able to clean it until tomorrow.

DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0499.jpg

After I sober up from finally getting one silver coin from this place, I figure I'll beat down some of the briars and see if perchance there's anything else there. I get a double signal type about a foot from the Reale hole, and commence digging. Just so happened it was in the middle of the briar roots and some small pine roots too, so I go to hacking away with my Lesche to clear the roots. Dig the hole, get the ProPointer out, and come up with another crusty coin. I gently remove some of the dirt, then hand it to my buddy, as he's really good at cleaning coins. He gets the clear view of this masterpiece, and promptly says SOAB. I'll let you see it the way I did for the first time, albeit on my pants instead of in the dirt.

PICT0743.jpg

DSCN0493.jpg

A Virginia Half Cent. For me, this was probably going to be my Holy Grail of coins, as I most likely will be moving away from Virginia later this year. I never in my wildest dreams expected to find this coin, let alone at a site where I had never been able to pull but one coin. I can only hope the other side cleans up anywhere near as good as this, but it's going to be a crapshoot.

The other signal turned out to be a chewed up musket ball,

DSCN0504.jpg

but at this point I was still reeling in near shock.

Thanks again Buddy, you don't know how much I appreciate you letting me hunt with you. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

I hope and pray you all have as much luck as I have had today.

Thank you all for viewing, good luck and happy hunting!!

Josh R Sherman

Upvote 0

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I tell you what, after getting skunked so many times there you finally hit it big. I wish I had found something today as well, but hey, maybe next time. If you need help cleaning them let me know, silver is easy as pie, copper a bit harder. I can't wait to see them all cleaned up! I just hope you left one of them rotten halfpennies for me to find. (I also hope that in my disgust I did not damage your coin when I hurled it down to earth after I realized what it was. I had no clue that brick was there! Honest!!)
Anthony

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
jrsherman

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Tank69 said:
:icon_thumleft: nice digs

thanks Tank!!

Naw Anthony, it only broke in half! jk

The 2 cent turned out to be a 1865, so now I'm shooting for an 1866 since I got the '64 :laughing9:

C

Cappy Z.

You guys in VA have it made. You've got so much history and occupation..heck even the earliest Indians..may have lived there!

Keep up the hunting and thanks for the photos.

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a hunt. Very nice finds and keepers :icon_sunny:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JR,
Now that is a good friend. :icon_thumleft: Fantastic old coins you found there. Congrats to you on being persistant.
-MM-

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
sweet old coins.way to go braving the heat and bugs this time of year :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it great to find good coins......because you have already found a great friend!!!
Great post. Loved the story. I hope BOTH OF YOU find some more early Virginia coppers......keep the shovels swinging
until you leave. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
(By the way, about 30 years ago I was fortunate enough to be stationed in Virginia. :icon_thumright: Loved the coins I found. :icon_thumleft: Loved the Virginia people. :thumbsup: Hated the hot, sultry weather. >:(

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
hikeinmts said:
Isn't it great to find good coins......because you have already found a great friend!!!
Great post. Loved the story. I hope BOTH OF YOU find some more early Virginia coppers......keep the shovels swinging
until you leave. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
(By the way, about 30 years ago I was fortunate enough to be stationed in Virginia. :icon_thumright: Loved the coins I found. :icon_thumleft: Loved the Virginia people. :thumbsup: Hated the hot, sultry weather. >:(

What part of Virginia were you stationed in? And what sort of old coins did you find? The weather here has not been too bad yet, but the bugs are out in force. I would love to hear some stories about what you have found in VA in the past. Thats why I read Tnet so much - love the stories!
Anthony

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
HELL YEAH Josh!!!

This from the same place we hunted? I bet you got calle dworse names than I did last month lol. Get us some pics of the coins cleaned up man!!!

Anthony- You are going to have to work hard to beat him for the club awards this time around. LOL

You guys keep it up! You all inspire me to swing more and research better.

-K

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread