I did a community service

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,

I have not been out much all summer. Last year I posted free metal detecting service in our town flyer. This week I got a call from a young gentleman who is buying an old house and needed help to locate a dug well. After about 30 minutes in an iron infested front yard I got a rather large signal. About 8" down was a piece of electrical conduit stuck vertical in the ground. We did not pay much attention to it as we thought it marked the irrigation system pipe (found two irrigation heads).

After looking in the basement and seeing just where the water pipe lead out into the front yard we measured and noticed that this conduit was right on the mark. So we probed down the hole and hit solid material. After digging about 3 feet down we discovered the well cap. Next we moved around the yard and manage to locate two cess pool covers and one septic cover. He was very happy with the finds. It was a good two hour adventure.

After all was done he asked if there was ever anything he could do for me and I just waved it off and mentioned that maybe if he buys the house that my partner and I could detect around a bit. He was very happy to allow us to come in anytime! So if he buys the house we will do some detecting around an 1875 house and barn.

I did find a nice little copper heart pendant that was in a hole that I thought was a large iron signal. Just goes to show how much good stuff is mixed in with the bad. Also a colonial button appeared in another hole!!

So tomorrow my partner and I are off to the local tavern and going to try the field out back as well as the small pond way out in the field in hopes that they watered horses and bathed out there 200+ years ago. This will be our first outing in quite some time :hello2:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good service to a fellow human, and you made us all look good.
And, you got his reward for your service. Looks to me like a win-win situation. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Thanks everyone, tomorrow we go to the tavern but will be making a stop early on at one of the local farmers fields in an attempt to find a lost diamond post earring that his wife lost when they were moving brush. May be a 'needle in a haystack' hunt but we'll give it a try. Wish us luck :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread