cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking about adding stuff to my yardsale buy list.

When I recycle computers I always throw away the wires and powersupply. I didn't think it would be worth saving to sell.

Well this last saturday I decided to see how much wire I could get in my yardsale hunt. I always remember seeing boxes of jumbled wires at yardsales.

I ended up buying a lot of wires and what ever else people had in those junk boxes. I sorted thru what I bought and pulled out the computer cards, hard drives and RAM that came in the boxes. I spent a total of $4.50

I sorted the real thin wires (inside computer ribbon wires and phone cables) into one box and the heavier wires into another.

Today I went to my recycler and sold him 5 lb of breakage (20¢ lb thin wire) and 14 lb of #3 insulated (86¢ lb heavier wire) and got $13.04 not bad for something I always pass up or throw away.

I also asked him about silver plated copper plates (he buys as copper) and old silverware. I told him it was probably nickle and he said he pays yellow brass price on that. I see so much of this and pass it over as junk. My next experiment will be these things to see if they really do pay that way. I talked to the center manager, don't know if the people doing the weighing see it the same as he does.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
The last copper and brass drop I did I saw boxes of power supplies and computer board (only the green ones), they said $.40lb for both. Not a huge money maker, but that's ok, cash is cash.

Last recycle run I received $2.80lb for silver plated copper pieces. They did run it under a wheel to make sure it was copper underneath. Like to know about the other plated pieces that are not copper, especially the "Roger's junk. Maybe no long junk. ha.

Let us know please Cyberdan, thanks.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
I have been thinking about adding stuff to my yardsale buy list.

When I recycle computers I always throw away the wires and powersupply. I didn't think it would be worth saving to sell.

Well this last saturday I decided to see how much wire I could get in my yardsale hunt. I always remember seeing boxes of jumbled wires at yardsales.

I ended up buying a lot of wires and what ever else people had in those junk boxes. I sorted thru what I bought and pulled out the computer cards, hard drives and RAM that came in the boxes. I spent a total of $4.50

I sorted the real thin wires (inside computer ribbon wires and phone cables) into one box and the heavier wires into another.

Today I went to my recycler and sold him 5 lb of breakage (20¢ lb thin wire) and 14 lb of #3 insulated (86¢ lb heavier wire) and got $13.04 not bad for something I always pass up or throw away.

I also asked him about silver plated copper plates (he buys as copper) and old silverware. I told him it was probably nickle and he said he pays yellow brass price on that. I see so much of this and pass it over as junk. My next experiment will be these things to see if they really do pay that way. I talked to the center manager, don't know if the people doing the weighing see it the same as he does.

I get alot of used computers and I break them down all the time... including the power supplies and wire... its not easy to tear in to them but its still mostly recyclable!

Chukers

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hold on to lan & ribbon cables to sell or trade on Craigs list. Power cords too. Ribbon & lan make me more as used than scrap. Have two shops that will buy most every cable I can bring them. One guy throws in a cup of :coffee2: when I show up. I've done some trades for stuff I need. A small box of ribbons for a wireless router etc.

Sometimes junk ain't junk if you find the right buyer.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
I like that, will have to remember that.

I need more RAM in my two computers at home but so far I have not torn down any that have that type (DDR something) I need to find a shop that will trade.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
I usually hold on to lan & ribbon cables to sell or trade on Craigs list. Power cords too. Ribbon & lan make me more as used than scrap. Have two shops that will buy most every cable I can bring them. One guy throws in a cup of :coffee2: when I show up. I've done some trades for stuff I need. A small box of ribbons for a wireless router etc.

yeah that last line you wrote is the key... being in a small town I don't have many options but to recycle.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chukers said:
boogeyman said:

yeah that last line you wrote is the key... being in a small town I don't have many options but to recycle.
You're in Texas? You should check out Craigs List. It'll give more options that you think, and it's free. You can sell, trade or give away most anything you've got! I'm constantly amazed at what people will pay for, let alone what kinds of literally trash items people will drive across the county & climb over each other to get for free. To me it's better than EBay, I don't have to have an account, it's free, and I am not limited to just selling items, I can barter for stuff I can really use, or post something I need & get a heck of a deal. Check it out & you'll find even in a small town you do have some options.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions