Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off, I have never air tested any of my detectors really, at least not with a “test” in mind. Tonight I was bored, so I put a battery in the compadre, the Eldorado, and the vaquero. Here’s how they are set up
Compadre: 8” concentric-disc at iron
Eldorado umax: 9x8 concentric-disc at iron, threshold at 2 o clock, Sens at 10
Vaquero: 5.75 concentric- same as above

These are the test items I used:
A union eagle cuff button
A quarter sized floral flat button
A small buckey ball-1/8 oz lead maybe less
A 1905 Indian
A 1948 nickel
A 1942 mercury dime
A large sterling/gold men’s ring

Now I did this test in my garage because the weather sucks. I know the environment is not ideal and that air tests are not a true indicator of performance but the results alarmed me. Basically my fleet of Tesoro’s were solid hitters to 6-8” only in this environment. Here’s more specifics:

On the compadre- it literally smacked all targets to 6” then dropped of sharply. Except on the lead, only 2.5” there. So about what you would expect for the compadre.

The Eldorado. This is a new to me machine. Just got it. It’s already landed me 3 buttons in a few hours work. Not sure what to expect here but it was as follows:
Eagle button- 5”
Flat button-6”
Small lead-3.5”
The Indian-7”
Nickel-7”
Merc dime-6”
The ring-7”

The should-be king, the vaquero:
Eagle button-5”
Flat button-7”
Small lead-4”
The Indian-8”
Nickel-8”
Merc dime-6”
The ring-7”

These were the measurements where I got a signal that I may or may not pass up depending on my pace for that particular hunt. Not very encouraging. I have a lot of goodies from these machines, but I believe I will be shopping for something to round this out a little better. For my style, I believe a t2 is in my future. It sucks. I want to believe that my vaquero leaves nothing beneath me. However, my confidence has taken a hit.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When detecting you are detecting through soil different mineralization an Air test is not a reliable test many conditions wet iron hot ground ect does your detector have disc iron disc ground balance threshold ect ect ect!!!!!!!!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job.

I prefer the ElDorado, just feels and sounds better than my Vaquero.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, it’s bugging me bad enough that I had to test again. This time basically supertuning the Eldorado and the vaquero. I focused this time on the merc dime and small buttons and a gold ring. The vaquero just barely edges out the Eldorado on the mid range. On the gold ring and small buttons I was at 8” in the v and 7 on the el. That is not bad at all. In fact pretty good. Now on the silver, I loved what I see. The el and the v both hit the dime at 8 “ pretty solid. So I gained a couple inches per item when super tuned. Now I don’t like supertuning in the field, I don’t like what it does to the disc ability and I don’t like the extra chatter in already poppy iron. But if this is what it takes to eek out performance from these machines, I guess it is what it is. These tests make me feel better about the machines and some confidence restored. I guess I never wanted to crank them that high. I like have the depth modulation on the threshold but I have to admit that putting it at 3 o clock really wakes up deeper target on both machines.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: I would think the Eldorado would "do" a bit better. I have an Outlaw "a sibling" of the Eldorado and in ground tests in my old test bed it does a little better on the coins.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: I would think the Eldorado would "do" a bit better. I have an Outlaw "a sibling" of the Eldorado and in ground tests in my old test bed it does a little better on the coins.
A couple weeks ago I couldn’t decide on a Silver Umax or the Eldorado umax. Based on one old post from Monte stating that an Eldorado umax has netted him more coins than any other machine, I chose a super clean used one. Getting ready to get a 12x10 concentric for my field sites after some more research. Any input would be appreciated.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IowaRelic,

I bet you are going to kill it on coins and jewelry! Good Luck! :icon_thumleft:

My Tesoro Outlaw is a playground killer for coins and jewelry! Just turn on, ground balance, sensitivity to 10 (or perhaps to 7 -8 if area dictates) and set disc. a bit below foil (sometimes lower) and dig all the jewelry others have missed. I will assume you will do the same! :hello2:

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread