Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't just break the century barriers, I decimated them with one swing

Found this today at the site of an early 19th century Mennonite meetinghouse. Not fully sure what it is, it's pretty toasted, but I'm reasonably sure it's older than a LC or HC (but I could be wrong).

First look, in situ
Geo II - 1.png

It's about 1.54" (27mm) in diameter. Before it went into the boiling peroxide I could barely make out a faint outline - unfamiliar to me, but enough to know it's not a LC or HC. Any ideas?

P.S. It's out of the peroxide and into some olive oil, where it will spend the night. I'm not too hopeful on detail from this thing, it's REALLY toasted, and looks like a plow hit it at one point. If I remember correctly it was between 10"-12" down.

Here's a quick look after a few minutes in the olive oil:
Geo II - 2.png

Here's the end result after 4 hours of electrolysis at 4.55Vdc/550 mA:
Geo II.jpg

The electrolysis confirmed a suspicion that I've had since after the peroxide bath: that the lack of detail is due to corrosion rather than concretion, which no amount of cleaning can restore. So what bare, faintest detail exists is all I'm going to get. However, you can see more of the faint outlines in person than my cell phone camera will ever show, bc the phone wants to focus in on the corrosion itself rather than what the corrosion obscures. I'm 100% positive from what I can see that it's a George II.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bingo! Neat how one swing can change so much time, ain't it. :)

WTG!
HH!

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bingo! Neat how one swing can change so much time, ain't it. :)

WTG!
HH!

Some simple research says it's probably a George I (1717 - 1724) or George II (1729 - 1754) halfpenny, which fits the size (~27.8mm) and era. Some confirmation would be nice from those more knowledgeable...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe a George III Blacksmith Token?

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm really hoping the olive oil reveals a little more detail.

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see a Classic Head Large Cent. What really sticks out to me is the headband that says liberty in it. The olive oil picture shows what I see as the left facing bust and Liberty crown and being 28mm in diameter fits your size comparison. These coins date from 1808-1814, so you've got a 200 year old coin in your possession. Congrats on a great find. :)

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see a Classic Head Large Cent. What really sticks out to me is the headband that says liberty in it. The olive oil picture shows what I see as the left facing bust and Liberty crown and being 28mm in diameter fits your size comparison. These coins date from 1808-1814, so you've got a 200 year old coin in your possession. Congrats on a great find. :)

You know, I completely forgot about the Classic Head LC's left bust. Idk where you see the headband in the olive oil pic. But I still think it's a King George... mostly because (a) the facial profile is flat, as opposed to a classic head's angled profile, (b) when it first came out of the ground, I was pretty sure I could see the exergue.

EDIT: I know I'm kinda biased here, but I think what you're seeing as the headband is just a photographic artifact from the glare of the light. When I took the pic I definitely didn't see that.

Last edited:

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see it

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, I completely forgot about the Classic Head LC's left bust. Idk where you see the headband in the olive oil pic. But I still think it's a King George... mostly because (a) the facial profile is flat, as opposed to a classic head's angled profile, (b) when it first came out of the ground, I was pretty sure I could see the exegue.

EDIT: I know I'm kinda biased here, but I think what you're seeing as the headband is just a photographic artifact from the glare of the light. When I took the pic I definitely didn't see that.

You could be right, and I hope you are! Good luck...Can't wait to see the outcome.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's definitely not a classic head cent. More of the detail is coming visible, but won't show up on my phone camera yet. I can see the lowest olive leaf pair by the back of his head and the outline of where the olive leaf crown points at the top, and the shape of the top/back of his head. I can also faintly see the first N in Britannia on the reverse.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Olive oil overnight didn't reveal much. I stuck it in the electrolysis bin for a few hours on low voltage/current and will check it at lunchtime in a few hours. Hopefully some of the crustiness comes off this time.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Final update added to original post.

I will be hitting that farmland again today :) :occasion14:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
cti4sw,

Great find and congrats! Try soaking the coin in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Mineral Oil for a month, then try removing the concretion with green Rose Thorns. I say Thorns as it will take more than one as the sharp point on them wear out fairly quickly. Also, green Rose Thorns will not harm any details on the coin or the copper itself in any way and is why these are preferred by many folks that clean up dirty and/or corroded copper coins! The process may or may not do much in removing the concretion but it may remove enough to make the coin more identifiable and since it is already toasted, it sure won't hurt.

Frank

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cti4sw,

Great find and congrats! Try soaking the coin in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Mineral Oil for a month, then try removing the concretion with green Rose Thorns. I say Thorns as it will take more than one as the sharp point on them wear out fairly quickly. Also, green Rose Thorns will not harm any details on the coin or the copper itself in any way and is why these are preferred by many folks that clean up dirty and/or corroded copper coins! The process may or may not do much in removing the concretion but it may remove enough to make the coin more identifiable and since it is already toasted, it sure won't hurt.

Frank

You're right that it wouldn't hurt to set it in olive oil for an extended period, but if the electrolysis didn't remove anything, I doubt olive oil will. The coin is corroded, it doesn't really have any more concretion (the peroxide bath removed 98% of it all) and I'm not too optimistic about revealing more detail under nonexistent concretion.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

I absolutely hate to sound like a jerk and I'm always the bearer of bad news :BangHead: but, I think its better people know the truth. The pitting your getting is from the Electrolysis all those little dots that's from the Electrolysis. You over cooked it or used to many amps. Don't worry I've done it myself a dozen times and.... Sometimes the detail is just not there and with corrosion and pitting from baths and being in the elements for 200 years the detail has literally changed to corrosion and its not there anymore. I hope this helps,
Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, :hello:

I absolutely hate to sound like a jerk and I'm always the bearer of bad news :BangHead: but, I think its better people know the truth. The pitting your getting is from the Electrolysis all those little dots that's from the Electrolysis. You over cooked it or used to many amps. Don't worry I've done it myself a dozen times and.... Sometimes the detail is just not there and with corrosion and pitting from baths and being in the elements for 200 years the detail has literally changed to corrosion and its not there anymore. I hope this helps,
Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

All that pitting was there after the peroxide bath. The electrolysis barely had any effect on the coin at all. This I know, because being my first 200+ year old coin, I paid close attention to what each cleaning/restoration step did to it. No to sound like a jerk, but if you had looked closer at my pic during the olive oil stage, you might have seen that :rolleyes:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread