I DO think I HAMMERED this site today

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh treasurenet....how I love witty titles. Although I hate to spoil it for you....i have found no hammered coins to date....but what I do have for you is an extremely rad story and coinciding pictures......so lets begin this adventure. I was asked to help out a friend of a friend who lost a knife while attending a local festival. I won't go into great details about the area or land besides the fact that its extremely private and protected. Many events are held there from renaissance festivals to spiritual ceremonies. I hadn't planned on doing any digging besides those low iron tones hoping to pull out the lost knife.....but my curiousity got the best out of me when i noticed an abundance of what i like to call heart pumper tones where it sounds so good and solid your mouth begins to water and your palms begin to sweat. To save folks from having to read if they dont want the story i'll post the pictures and continue with the story afterwards. So here are yesterdays finds!! $1.34 clad, 1 gold toned costume earring (broken), 1 silver plated costume earring, 1 long fine sterling necklace chain (broken), 1 crushed sterling cat ring, random costume jewelery bits, a pentagram token, a pewter good luck rune, a tiny 14k wedding band (date 5-2-35 inscribed on inside), 5 15th century replica coins (one large silver, three small pewter, one small bronze) and a good 2 hours of fun! Read the story after the pictures if you want the backstory on the replica coins....they actually have a great history behind them.........................................................to be continued

Attachments

• IMGP2556.jpg
    IMGP2556.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 656
  • IMGP2498.jpg
    IMGP2498.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 660
  • IMGP2503.jpg
    IMGP2503.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 657
  • IMGP2508.jpg
    IMGP2508.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 649
  • IMGP2551.jpg
    IMGP2551.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 639
  • IMGP2553.jpg
    IMGP2553.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 652
  • IMGP2554.jpg
    IMGP2554.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 641
  • IMGP2560.jpg
    IMGP2560.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 640
  • IMGP2561.jpg
    IMGP2561.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 645
  • IMGP2557.jpg
    IMGP2557.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 639
  • IMGP2558.jpg
    IMGP2558.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 629
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops, i fell asleep, was a long day and night yesterday....anyways I kept pulling those strange coins out of the ground, obviously not really old and replicas but I didnt think anything of it. The story began to take a strange turn when my friend looked at them and said "wow, those look like Barto coins". Long story short she goes into telling me of this guy who casts/hammers bother replica coins and fantasy coins and how that's what he does for a living. As we are getting ready to leave, having not found the knife :( , a car pulls up and low and behold it is the master silversmith himself going for a walk on the land. I asked him about the coins and he was blown away...he could tell by the thickness and design that it was his first generation of coins which were made as a real tender for a festival. The people would come in with 10 or 20 bucks and buy the coins. Then they would spend them as a more period correct currency, meaning the silversmith would get back his made currency. Good business for him. But this was his first line from over 25 years ago....and they only made so many (less than 500 of the silver coins if he remembers right) and most of which he got back and had remelted into future coins.....anyways long story short it was a great day of detecting and so cool that I got to meet the guy who made these coins and for him to give me the backstory behind it all was amazing. Here is a link to his website he gave me if anyone would like to check out his newer stuff...its amazing how far he has come with his technique for not only coins but all of the silver and goldsmithing that he does. Good luck everyone and happy hunting!

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats awsome man you always pull somthing good outta the ground

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread