Picture 019.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 761
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 779

distimpson

Nov 9, 2006
brenham, kansas
Does a magnet stick to it? What color streak does it leave, magnetite-gray, hematite-red, pyrite-black green... A magnet will stick to iron but not lead, gold, silver, aluminum, copper,... , aluminum will be much lighter than iron... More info please.

OP
OP
BOXING63

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
stimpson said:
Does a magnet stick to it? What color streak does it leave, magnetite-gray, hematite-red, pyrite-black green... A magnet will stick to iron but not lead, gold, silver, aluminum, copper,... , aluminum will be much lighter than iron... Will it dont stick to a magnet, the color it left was silver and when my friend checked it with the acid tester it stayed on the stone he could not take it off the stone and i dont think its aluminum or lead. More info please.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, more info. Meteorite? Probably not. JUST pics and I'll guess, platinum nugget. Size of a grape. Weigh it in water.... ie specific gravity test. Seems to be pure mineral. VERY interesting. Probably not a platinum nugget but a specific gravity test will go FAR to identify. TTC

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Magnetic? Most meteorites will have significant iron content, and be MUCH heavier than a normal rock of the same size. Iron content should attract a magnet.

Specific Gravity is also useful, both in determining the probable metal content as well as the heat required to get it in this condition.

I can't comment on the platinum nugget: looks far too large for it to be a typical platinum nugget. I have found one of those in Southern Oregon while sluicing with my ex-brother-in-law. My nugget was about 1/8-inch across at the widest, and was much brighter than this specimen.

Streak test? Need to note to color of any streak left on an unglazed tile by the specimen.

OP
OP
BOXING63

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Tuberale said:
Magnetic? Most meteorites will have significant iron content, and be MUCH heavier than a normal rock of the same size. Iron content should attract a magnet.

Specific Gravity is also useful, both in determining the probable metal content as well as the heat required to get it in this condition.

I can't comment on the platinum nugget: looks far too large for it to be a typical platinum nugget. I have found one of those in Southern Oregon while sluicing with my ex-brother-in-law. My nugget was about 1/8-inch across at the widest, and was much brighter than this specimen.

Streak test? Need to note to color of any streak left on an unglazed tile by the specimen.
Will this is the test with acid tester 22k gold tester the streak that stays on the stone is silver grey plus i have not cleaned the piece since i found it. would you know where i can get it check out, here are more pics

Attachments

• Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 711
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 721
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 686
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 719
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 696

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
More likely to be silver or a nearby metal rather than platinum. Platinum is extremely dense and hard. While it may leave a streak, it wouldn't be silvery in color: more likely white or colorless. Platinum is more likely to scratch tile than the other way around.

I have seen molten aluminum (very light) that looked similar. Aluminum would leave a silver streak, and melts at low temperatures. Has there been any major fires in the area where you found this? Might be something like a melted aluminum panel or something similar.

OP
OP
BOXING63

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
:icon_thumleft:had the piece checked out it official it silver :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions