Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't need a poker face!

Was thinking more on the topic of buying off ebay compared to in person sales, and I guess one thing that works in my favor is when I get a great deal there's no having to hide emotion, which is not at all the same as looking at a seller and trying to look like you didn't just get a great deal. :laughing7: But the nice part for most of you is you get to leave with the item... where as I have to wait anywhere from 1-3 weeks... and what a long wait it is when you feel you hit a great score. I often say I try to leave the emotion out of it, when the truth is it's most of you who have to do that and I can go as crazy as I want sitting at my computer chair. I will admit to standing up once in a while and doing a little dance, but it's only because I can! :)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I agree, I've stood up and danced too.

I do think ebay as a marketplace for reselling is a double edged sword. On one hand, you are exactly right. I jumped for joy last week when I scored a $100 item for just $13 including shipping. I've already flipped that item, and it felt great.

For instance, when I happen to be at the indoor flea market, I can talk with the customers face to face, and often work deals to make them happen. Several weeks ago, I saw a guy carrying around mill files from another booth. I struck up a conversation, and wound up selling him $55 worth of my files and tools...some that had been sitting so long that the price tags were yellowed. I was easily able to bundle some tools and made a lump sum deal.

It is hard to make deals and 'build the sale' on ebay.

But then again, I understand the feelings of winning big on an ebay item, and no one hears you yell at the top of your lungs in victory.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I've stood up and danced too.

I do think ebay as a marketplace for reselling is a double edged sword. On one hand, you are exactly right. I jumped for joy last week when I scored a $100 item for just $13 including shipping. I've already flipped that item, and it felt great.

For instance, when I happen to be at the indoor flea market, I can talk with the customers face to face, and often work deals to make them happen. Several weeks ago, I saw a guy carrying around mill files from another booth. I struck up a conversation, and wound up selling him $55 worth of my files and tools...some that had been sitting so long that the price tags were yellowed. I was easily able to bundle some tools and made a lump sum deal.

It is hard to make deals and 'build the sale' on ebay.

But then again, I understand the feelings of winning big on an ebay item, and no one hears you yell at the top of your lungs in victory.

Yes, cash in person is a very good tool, but it's not really that different online because the sellers are used to it, and when you say a number and all they have to do is say yes to get the money, it's hard to refuse that too. I actually like dealing through email because it gives you time to think and use a strategy, where in person you have to be very good and always on your toes with the right answer. I'm pretty good at selling my goodies, but I know I do well at it because I have the time to think about what I want to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread