I Dont Think He Knows What Metal Detecting Is.......So I Leave.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't Think He Knows What Metal Detecting Is.......So I Leave.

Went detecting at a old house that I have hunted 3 or 4 times so far. The house is vacant and I had permission from the owner who is around 80 years old. He lives on the same block and stopped once to ask if I had found anything. Well today his daughter stops by and tells me "her father does not know what metal detecting is". And that I need to stop detecting because her husband has a metal detector. I kindly told her that I had not found much which was true....so I leave. And go to another old house(1883) a couple blocks away that all I have found so far was a few wheats and a buffalo nickle. Found these four coins in a little over a hour. My second IH and #3,4,5 silver for the year. Ha Ha. Keep searching..........

Attachments

• tarot-frame-stove-slbum 010.jpg
    tarot-frame-stove-slbum 010.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 26

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ugh, some permissions just turn so lame so quickly. One time I found an 1832 LC in 5 minutes and was told to go. I just say f-'em. Nice job staying civil and capitalizing on the BS.

Steve

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh, some permissions just turn so lame so quickly. One time I found an 1832 LC in 5 minutes and was told to go. I just say f-'em. Nice job staying civil and capitalizing on the BS.

Steve

Hear hear! :metaldetector:8-)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silvers and the IH.

It makes me wonder who it actually was that didn't want you detecting on the property? Lame, but what can a person do but thank them for the opportunity to hunt and just carry on to another spot. I think it's happened to many of us over the years and some just seem to sting more than others when we have to move on.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes permission is given then it's taken away. :icon_scratch:
I think you should talk directly with the person who gave you the original permission, not just some stranger off the street.

Dave

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell many a story of perms going bad from one thing or another...

Usually... it is right after anything of real value is found.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks all worked out in your favor. I bet her husband is not a diehard MDer since he has not hit that property yet. Heck I have hit all friends and family properties before I looked for more permissions. I always go for the low hanging fruit first.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It still looks like you had a nice little hunt. Those things happen.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
You gotta love a 3 silver day! I mean, I guess you do, I haven't had one yet, so.... I'm really just kinda making an educated guess! :icon_scratch:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
That's weird, maybe hubby should sit down with good ole dad and give him the readers digest of detecting.
I've seen that before, not a great loss to you; luckily you saved your day!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As they say in trucking....Keep on Trucking then I apply to Mding.....Keep on Metal Detecting. Congrats on the Silver!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like some silver to save the day! Congrats!

Looks like the daughter hasn't mentioned detecting to him at all, if her husband has one and the father doesn't know what it is.

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Had to go back again today and found another IH and a spinner ring. I have most of the junk dug up so digging those weak signals now with my Whites 5900 di pro. Thanks for all the advice...........HH.

Attachments

• tarot-frame-stove-slbum.jpg
    tarot-frame-stove-slbum.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

chrisdigs

Oct 1, 2015
Middle Tennessee
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Garrett AT Pro,Garrett At MAX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you handled that situation well, glad you had some good finds after all. Good for you

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I had permission at one of the oldest and grandest farmhouses in my area. I was finding wheats and even a silver dime near the house in the first 10 minutes. Suddenly the woman comes and tells me that their teenage son flipped right out when he saw me from his window. She apologized and asked me to leave. Talk about disappointment. Lots of history, most likely a virgin spot...and I have to face intolerable cruelty as I must drive past the place on my way to work every day.

Sorry you got bounced out of your spot, but hey you still managed to find some good stuff!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I had permission at one of the oldest and grandest farmhouses in my area. I was finding wheats and even a silver dime near the house in the first 10 minutes. Suddenly the woman comes and tells me that their teenage son flipped right out when he saw me from his window. She apologized and asked me to leave. Talk about disappointment. Lots of history, most likely a virgin spot...and I have to face intolerable cruelty as I must drive past the place on my way to work every day.

Hey J.Cache, maybe you ought to ask the teenager if you wants to learn how to detect. Let him use your backup detector, give him a 10 minute crash course and then split the yard and continue to pull the treasure from that property. Sounds like a win/win to me. :icon_thumright:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey J.Cache, maybe you ought to ask the teenager if you wants to learn how to detect. Let him use your backup detector, give him a 10 minute crash course and then split the yard and continue to pull the treasure from that property. Sounds like a win/win to me. :icon_thumright:

I should have tried that Loco! It was early in my first year of detecting, and It was my first real "ask someone you don't really know for permission". I felt terrible when it went sour. Apparently the kid was mad because he "sometimes found old tools and other neat family junk" while working on the land.

The kid is probably in his twenties now, and I think he's moved away from home. Im going to look into getting back there in 2016. And if for some reason the kid shows up, I'm slapping a detector in his hand and telling him to shut up. Oh, and of course ill discrim out everything above iron on the machine he gets haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread