I dont understand this ring. Gold

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand this ring. Gold

Rings 29 and 30
Both missing the center stone. It seems to be the going trend.
--
The silver ring has 12 stones on either side of where the main stone should be.
Too bad they aren't diamonds.
--
The gold ring has me scratching my head. It looks normal enough. It has one small diamond on either side of the hole. They tested positive so they aren't glass. It's broken on the bottom so I can see it's solid metal. It passed the 14k acid test.

Let me describe how I found the ring so you can understand why it has me wondering what the deal is.

I got a hit near a tree. I said outloud, it's a bottle cap! I dug it up anyway and this gold ring pops out of the ground. I knew right away there must be something else in the hole. Sure enough there's a pulltab.

Then I put the gold ring on the grass by itself like I always do so I can hear what it sounds like. Well, I couldn't hear a thing. Nothing!! Not a peep! Then after swinging it back n forth about 7 times I heard a tiny blip. That's all I could get out of it. I couldn't even see the ring anymore and didn't want to lose it so I pull out the pinpointer. I couldn't find the ring with the pinpointer either! Then there's a tiny blip. Then I saw it.

Neither the detector nor the pinpointer detect this ring anymore than a tiny blip every few passes.

It also has a weird glue or something where the center stone should be. It's hard to describe. At first I thought it was a shattered fake stone but there's also some glue near one of the outter diamonds. It's almost like the center stone melted.

I was very lucky to have found this one.

Attachments

• ring30.jpg
    ring30.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 801
  • silver ring.jpg
    silver ring.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 720
  • holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 719
Upvote 3

Finn74

Dec 16, 2012
Just out of curiosity I would test the resistance with an ohm-meter. Then compare the reading to a gold ring that gives a good response on your detector. Just a thought...
I would like to know what you get for results.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I think the key here is that strange ring is broken.
Since it is not a full solid circle, the Eddy currents from the return signal will be diffused and not come back as a logical, solid signal, if at all.
This is also the reasons why chains are so hard to find, the links will pretty much cause the same effect.
I have found several silver bracelets and necklaces...not one of them came in near a high tone silver signal.

Someone explained this better than me once...

"When using a detector, and this varies greatly between what methods your detector uses, it creates a magnetic field that shoots into the ground. As you pass over a metal object, let's say a coin for now, it creates an electric current in that item. This current is called an Eddy Current. This current moves throughout the coin and creates its own magnetic field. This field is what the detector coil sees and interprets. It then takes all the input and either beeps a certain way, shows on a screen or both.

Now to the matter of different size, shape and wadding of items. These Eddy Currents flow differently depending on the items conductivity. Coins, nails, pull tabs, etc, have varied levels of conductivity and the detector usually reads them as what they are, but, if you change the shape of these items, say if a silver ring is not a "full" ring, or a is an unclasped silver necklace, or a peice of foil is wadded tightly, it will change the conductivity of that object. Not the conductivity of the metal mind you, just the way the current travels through the actual item.

To put it simply, lets say you have a full silver ring (a full O shape) and a silver ring that does not connect fully (basically a C shape), when the electric current passes through the full ring, it is able to travel in all directions easily, versus the incomplete ring, where it loses some current out of the broken ends."

And a video to further illustrate this point...

Last edited:

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, very educational. I'm really glad I stopped at this "todays find". Thank you digger27, and fix.
Kinda brings new meaning to "one mans junk is another mans treasure".
HH

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But nice find
congrats2.gif

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find!..I can tell you when i found my first gold ring, i was getting a dime/penny signal...so i dug down and found some small pieces of iron...then Out popped a gold ring...I scanned over it to see what else could have been in the hole, but it was clear, then i waved the detector over the ring and it was a complety different tone

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting - nice finds too

OP
OP
Fix

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the key here is that strange ring is broken.
Since it is not a full solid circle, the Eddy currents from the return signal will be diffused and not come back as a logical, solid signal, if at all.
This is also the reasons why chains are so hard to find, the links will pretty much cause the same effect.
I have found several silver bracelets and necklaces...not one of them came in near a high tone silver signal.

Great reply Digger! That totally clears things up for me. I think I'll do a little testing of my own.
Thank You for the video!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
a good test is with a hoop earring. Put it under the detector with the ear piece not attached to the hoop, then try putting latching it. It's surprising what will happen.

eagleforce

Mar 15, 2010
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Nice rings! The tab deffinatly gave the strong sound. Like digger said, if its not cemetrical (round) The signal can be off, Also if its small gold ring. I have dug up a lot of small rings that barely register. Congrats!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds , super video !
Glen