I dont understand

nick.foltz

Dec 24, 2009
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Tesoro Cibola
I've been hitting up banks pretty hard lately. Received two boxes of dimes today 2 silvers so far. Also I bought 220 dollars worth of halves. Just my luck they were all marked and gone threw. Every bank I go to and ask for half dollars they either dont have any, or they do and its a public dump site. I've asked around 10-15 different banks all the same. Any advise? I'm not trying to tread just curious.

Nicholas

Happy Hunting :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Too many CRHers in your area probably. Contrary to what some may say, CRHing is in a sense a zero sum game. Every silver half you find is one less silver half somebody else finds. The only way silver gets into the system is when people who don't know its value decide to cash it in. Just the way it is and no way to change that.

If you keep at it long enough and increase your volume of halves searched, you will eventually find silver, even with all the CRHers out there. You will probably luck into a nice dream box or good number of hand rolls with a high percentage of silver if you keep at it.

If you can find an area that has not had high numbers of CRHers your luck is going to be better on average. My area is completely saturated for halves so I have basically stopped getting boxes because of the low yields and high numbers of excessively marked up halves.

I still get hand rolls when I can and have had a little bit of luck with them.

Jim

OP
OP
nick.foltz

nick.foltz

Dec 24, 2009
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Tesoro Cibola
Yeah thats just the thing. All the hand rolls someone already got into. I do live in a smaller town with two banks right down the street. I'm gonna try another because the only grocery store in the next town from me doesn't except rolled change anymore. So therefore they have to take it to the town bank. Maybe I will get lucky? Another idea is that there is a retirement community with a bank right across the street. Maybe just maybe........

Nicholas

Happy Hunting

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Older tellers are silver blocks. When I picked up my 2 boxes today, I caught a glimpse of silver in her tray. Before I could say anything, she offered them to me.
I think some tellers kind of get off by holding silver for some customers, as I tend to hear that "people are asking for halves".

Good luck, and keep on keepin on. ffd

OP
OP
nick.foltz

nick.foltz

Dec 24, 2009
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Tesoro Cibola
When I hear them say they dont have any, but I do have some loose ones here. I sorta lean over and look. So this is my question.....Can you look at a rim of a 40%er and tell that its silver? This is what I do for dimes.. Just crack em open and see if see any silver rims.

Nicholas

Happy Hunting

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Yeah you can easily spot them, normally.

I once had a 2 month spell where found almost nothing in all the banks hit and Boxes were mostly skunks too, but normally get silver on day hit 25 banks 2 or sometimes 3 have Silver and once in a while hit it big, once 419 %40's another time on same day 2 banks out of around 30 yielded 86 and 83 at another and a third 2 more.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Nick, I suggest a road trip on your next day off. Grab you some cash and get out of town. Take the backroads toward the bigger cities and expand out from there. You have to out think your competition. With that huge Indy town so close, you can bet it is full of searchers. So try something else other than Indy. A simple google search for banks in your area turned up a $hitload of banks that are all potential hot beds. On a typical road trip, I will hit at least 40-50 banks. If you hit an area that the tellers all say "someone gets them from us all the time" move to another area. Try some credit unions, they are not great for halves but they get a lot of other change.
One thing you might try if you are a wee bit ambitious. My part of the world has umpteen video game joints. They all get tonnage of quarters. These owners pick out the silver but you can buy them right. Other spots for a lot of change are laundromats,especially near colleges.
Good luck,don't give up, we have all developed a style, you will too. Jim

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same thing happen. A bunch of banks I go to have people already searching the halves. It's all timing though, just stick with it and eventually you will find a little silver here and there.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Like coolpix said Get Out Of Town do a road trip take lots of cash and you should also see if you can get your local bank to order a box of Halves.

Mojo

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
nick.foltz said:
When I hear them say they dont have any, but I do have some loose ones here. I sorta lean over and look. So this is my question.....Can you look at a rim of a 40%er and tell that its silver? This is what I do for dimes.. Just crack em open and see if see any silver rims.

Nicholas

Happy Hunting

Someone posted a year or so ago that you have to watch for 40% halves with a copper rim. I didn't believe it because I have never found any like that up until a couple of weeks ago when I found 3. I almost missed these coins. The copper color was faint but obvious. I hate to admit it ,but I'll bet in the past when I would rush through the rolls I've missed a few of these.
HH
Rich

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Rich Hartford said:
nick.foltz said:

Nicholas

Happy Hunting

Someone posted a year or so ago that you have to watch for 40% halves with a copper rim. I didn't believe it because I have never found any like that up until a couple of weeks ago when I found 3. I almost missed these coins. The copper color was faint but obvious. I hate to admit it ,but I'll bet in the past when I would rush through the rolls I've missed a few of these.
HH
Rich

Ah yes but alas there is the sound that is hard to miss. After looking at the roll and checking the edge I let the 20 coins waterfall from one hand into the other and listen for that sound. Hard to miss that sound of silver.

Mojo

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
I always check dates on halves, I've found a couple 40% with dirty rims in dumps.

As for what to do with your local situation - I find it best to do a little house keeping, if you can afford it.
I've found a couple abandoned dumps where people just kept recycling the same old coins. After talking with the vault tellers, I assured them I could make the coins "go away" for good. I either bought them from all the little banks (if they were in my supply ring) and had $1000 to bag for my dumps or I pressed them up with a couple hundred in dumps so they could get rid of them (not in my supply ring).
At least they were in the system and out of the vaults. Then just watch to see if they become active dump sites again - if so, ditch them for a long time. Made a half dozen good contacts that way...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread