I dug 7 1/2 cents today

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
After waiting for rain for 4 months, I took the day today and did a little more digging after yesterday's short hunt.. :thumbsup:

I headed out this AM planning on digging some sites that I had spent all morning trying to do some research on. I called the farmer to let him know I would be detecting today. Being he leases the farm he said he had no problem but after giving me the go ahead the other day, he thought I should let the land owner know. He gave me her number but no answer. I was Bumming. Left a message hoping she would call right back but she didn't. So, I decided to go to a site that I had hit before and see what I had missed. I arrived and started hunting, first thing I dug was the side of an early powder flask. As time went on I dug a couple flat buttons and then things slowed up. I thought that I must have really cleaned this site out once things slowed down. I kept going when all of the sudden I hit a good read and boom 1826 LC. This ones for you Kirk! That makes three for me from this site. I carried on and along came a lonesome Indian, 1865 and in good shape. Then things went quiet again. I was getting tired and ready to leave, then I thought I would go swing around the well before I headed for the truck. An 1882 Shield Nickel surprised me, my first for the year. I hit the field a bit longer when I finally decided to call it quits. Hopped in the truck and hit the pavement for home. As I was leaving I thought about a spot that I had wanted to go to but had never made it. Curiosity was killing me about this second spot. I called the land owner and he said go for it, so I did. Pulled up in the field and started up the machine. Glass and stoneware were all over the place. This site was not on my map so I knew it must be an early one. I dug one target, a first for me. My first Half Cent which I believe to be an 1811, and I'm afraid to clean it any more. This one is for the experts to look at and tell me what to do with. I said that's it, I'm leaving. I'm going to save this spot for KFB to help me kill. We have been trying to get together but the lack of rain has stopped us. So get your digging boots on Tom, I found us a good one.

All in all, a great day for me, hope everyone gets out and finds the goods.

Hill

Attachments

• 10-28-10 015.jpg
    10-28-10 015.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 10-28-10 001.jpg
    10-28-10 001.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 10-28-10 003.jpg
    10-28-10 003.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 10-28-10.jpg
    10-28-10.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 10-28-10 011.jpg
    10-28-10 011.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 10-28-10 016.jpg
    10-28-10 016.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 10-28-10 008.jpg
    10-28-10 008.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 10-28-10 005.jpg
    10-28-10 005.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,046
Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds!!! MR TUFF

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well , here is the best I can do on cleaning the Half Cent. The high spots are fairly worn on the obverse, but the reverse is a little better. I'm thinking it's an 1811 wide date, whats your thoughts?

Attachments

• 10-28-10 018.jpg
    10-28-10 018.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 582
  • 10-28-10 017.jpg
    10-28-10 017.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 582

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Awesome hunt HB. Good to see you swinging. I only hope to see one of those in my plug some day.

Mighty nice of you to think of KFB. It would have been hard for me to leave after a find like that. :wink:

What is the brass piece with the eagle on it? The shadow in the group pic is wedge shaped. If so it may be an early barrel wedge.

Good luck.
Randy

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
RPG said:
Awesome hunt HB. Good to see you swinging. I only hope to see one of those in my plug some day.

Mighty nice of you to think of KFB. It would have been hard for me to leave after a find like that. :wink:

What is the brass piece with the eagle on it? The shadow in the group pic is wedge shaped. If so it may be an early barrel wedge.

Good luck.
Randy

Randy, that is a seal for an old sealed padlock, it says I&M as well as the eagle. I have been trying to figure out the I&M and believe it to be a rail road item. Still looking.
Yes it was hard for me to leave. Since BB is gone ,I'm running solo and want to see KFB get back into this fun hobby. He better hurry up is all I can say, I'm ready to go right now.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hill Billy said:
RPG said:

Good luck.
Randy

Randy, that is a seal for an old sealed padlock, it says I&M as well as the eagle. I have been trying to figure out the I&M and believe it to be a rail road item. Still looking.
Yes it was hard for me to leave. Since BB is gone ,I'm running solo and want to see KFB get back into this fun hobby. He better hurry up is all I can say, I'm ready to go right now.

I agreed looks like an old padlock keyhole cover, nice with the eagle on it :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
Good job! Glad to see the XLT is still being good to you. We will hook up asap. Cant wait!!!!!!

KFB

what you doing on here then, get your kit on :wink: :D

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice coppers .... congrats ! :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds HB,and great eye B.B!!Looks like a wreath,minus the belt loop that we refer to as a ladies buckle although we have dagureotypes of them worn by men,and many with children wearing them.

I have dug a similar pattern of your flask,but not exact,thats a special one!,the rest should be there!! :thumbsup:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
ok, that did it...I MUST get out tomorrow!!! I got the fever.

By the way....nice finds...and about time you got back in the dirt!

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
kuger said:
Great finds HB,and great eye B.B!!Looks like a wreath,minus the belt loop that we refer to as a ladies buckle although we have dagureotypes of them worn by men,and many with children wearing them.

I have dug a similar pattern of your flask,but not exact,thats a special one!,the rest should be there!! :thumbsup:

Here is the rest of it that I found on a previous hunt along with the Liege muff pistol barrel I think the flask went to.

Attachments

• Hill Billy Hunting 030.jpg
    Hill Billy Hunting 030.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 374
  • 10-28-10 019.jpg
    10-28-10 019.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 377
  • Hill Billy Hunting 030.jpg
    Hill Billy Hunting 030.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 382

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW CRAZY!!!!H.B.,the closest I have dug to that desighn is a piece almost exact to your piece on the right(I actually think it may have been my very first flask piece)same condition and size!Second it was at a French camp.....I have yet to dig a Muff pistol though!!!Thanks for the pic's!! :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome HUNT! I dug an 1811 Half Cent this year as well, rare little coin. NICE JOB HB!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions