I dug a test site....what the heck?

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
I planted a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter......all at 8 inches. My first pass with sensitivity at 16 produced no audible hits. As I gradually increased the sensitivity, finally to 24, I could get audible hits.....all except the penny. The penny I could not get a hit from regardless of the setting. Since I knew where it was at, i got signal when in pinpointing mode. Why is this do you think?

Also, the manual suggests sensitivity at 16 for beginners, so a beginner would have gone right over them.

I pulled out my son's Garrett 250 and it didn't pick up any.

FYI...the ground I planted was clean soil.....no rocks or junk.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too freshly buried

longer in the ground the better they will hit

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may be too new to ask you this.

Have you ever started digging a target
& Have it disappear ?

What happend was you broke the Halo.

If you continue looking you should find it.

Or you can walk away & Come back
a few days later & Get a hit on it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the same thing with airtests, probably won't be a whole lot different. 8" for a penny is fairly respectable depth. How deep did you expect to get it? :tongue3:

What detector?

OP
OP
B

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
Detector is x-Terra 705........obviously, should have mentioned that in the post

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WHAT IS HALO EFFECT?

Halo effect makes targets that have been in the ground a long time appear much larger than they actually are. Imagine an iron nail that has been in the ground for a number of years. As moisture in the ground slowly rusts the nail, forming iron oxides and iron salts, these oxides and salts migrate from the surface and tend to form a “halo“ around the nail. This, of course, makes it a lot “easier“ for a metal detector to detect. This effect is basically the same for most metals. When the target is dug, this halo effect (which takes years to form) is destroyed. So if you find a target due to the halo effect, and, for instance, it was a very weak signal, you will find that if you rebury it at the same depth, you will probably not now detect it (unless you leave it for a while.). For you beach-hunters, halo effect rarely has time to build up and will most likely be destroyed if the ground moves. Relics are often found at greater depths due to these effects.

Gold can be very hard to find due to the odd shapes that are often formed. Halo effect really helps us liberate a lot of gold, as most gold hasn’t moved in a long time. But gold doesn’t rust or corrode I hear you say. Correct. Often where you find gold there are also salts and chemicals (like cyanide) and these will leach out the gold into the surrounding minerals, causing a halo effect.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a coin garden in my backyard, (coins buried at a measured 7")
with my x-70 I can pick them up with my 3khz coil with sens of 25.........with stock coil I can hit them but numbers are horrible, signals are scratchy. Coins have been buried 2 yrs now. When I used my x-70 with stock coil rarely did I ever use LESS than 23 sens on any site, with the 3khz coil I was able to run 25 sens and it ran smoother, less interference. at 16 sens I would be surprised if I could find something at 4"
depth seems to drop off severely if you lower to less than 20 sens on the xterra 70 (or 705)
I thought I told you all this when we hunted together?

OP
OP
B

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
Terry......you probably did tell me, but I'm getting old. Really though, I think I just got too much info from many places, and it kinda confused me. I found the notes you gave me and you were right.

Thanks for your help, and putting up with my rookie tendencies.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcreekdad said:
Terry......you probably did tell me, but I'm getting old. Really though, I think I just got too much info from many places, and it kinda confused me. I found the notes you gave me and you were right.

Thanks for your help, and putting up with my rookie tendencies.
good to know! You should be able to run at 22-23 sens at most sites, if your not getting a lot of chatter you should be ok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread