I finally got a little taste,,,,, ( a newbie mini cache find )

GA1dad

Greenie
Jun 30, 2013
Williamston SC.
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being new to the hobby, I've had pretty limited success in finding anything more than a penny here, or a quarter there. Prior to yesterday, may biggest find was 75 cents at a school playground. It was getting kind of frustrating actually. So this weekend I decided to branch out a bit and search a popular mountain swimming hole about an hour away. This location has a long rock slide that ends in a deepish hole. There is also a small beach area close by where folks stretch out on towels and picnic. I wouldn't be able to get in the water much with the Ace 350, but surely there'd be a lost coin or ring near the waters edge,,,,, not. Didn't find anything but fish hooks, sinkers and beer caps. Being a popular spot, I figure there are others that hunt it, and I was probably left with the trash. Oh well, I got out of the house and had a dandy day with my eight year old daughter. We did pick a few coins up around the gravel parking area.

Then yesterday a friend invited me to hunt a section of his property with him. The property previously had a bar on it, and it is absolutley filled with glass and beer cans. I hunted it once before, but got tired of digging up pull tabs and jar lids. My friend has an interest in old bottles, so he is tickled with the dump sites. I on the other hand am trying to locate my first silver coin. So I seperated from him and headed into the woods where there were few signals, but still a few old beer cans.

Finally I got a solid hit with a high pitched bell tone. About four inches down there was a quarter of unknown date due to the crud on the coin. Before covering the hole I ran the pinpointer over it once more,,,,, and found a dime,,,, and another quarter. Cool I thought, I've found some change that fell out of a hunters pocket. But there was more in this hole. Clearly I had stumbled across a cache of some sort. All said and done I found 52 coins in the hole, and not a readable date on any of them due to the crud. You could say I was pretty exited. Surely my first silver coil was mixed in here somewhere,,,,,,, not. After getting them home and rinsing them, the quarters ranged from 1965 to 1972. I haven't looked at all the dimes, but the ones I have all have a 1965 to 1967 range. Aside from being all in the same hole, there was one other noticable oddity,,,,,,,,, no pennies,,,,,, just quarters, nickels and dimes. Hmm,,, this is definately not an accidental dump. And in 1972, a sum of $6.65 would have been a decent little savings I guess. Anyway, it picked up my spirits and gave me the drive to keep swinging.

Now, if you've read all of my dribbling,,, thanks,,,, and I have a question. Do silver coins cake up with hard crud like clad does?

-Jason

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats.I would have been thrilled to have a day like that.HH.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find - You're ruined for life now. As you travel you'll always have an eye watching for likely detecting spots, considering adding another detector or two to your arsenal and all the other signs of treaure hunting addiction. Have fun.
luvsdux

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your finds,hope that old swimming hole continues to give.Real silver looks different coming out of the ground,it has a different luster even caked with mud.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice pocket drop!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and congrats on your first mini cache! Probably put down by a kid. A pleasant surprise!
Yep, no turning back now, you've got the fever!

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the silver I've found has been shiny white coming out of the ground. Congrats on the find tho! Most I've ever taken out of one hole was $3.80!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver comes out of the ground looking like ---- well ------ silver. Usually anyhow. I found one quarter that came out the bottom of a lake that was black, not caked, but oxidized black. Don't know what was in the water to do that. My few silver finds have all come out of the ground looking just like they went in.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOO HOO! :wav: Most folks go their whole lives and never dig a hole like that one.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ain't no mini about 52 coins! Nice full size cache/spill! :icon_thumleft:

gimper

Jul 25, 2013
Illinois far from Chicago
Detector(s) used
CZ-6, White's Eagle 1(both broken) Compass X-100 and no pen to point (why waste batteries)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.silver almost always comes up lookin silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread