I found a 90% in someones dumps!!-what have u found in dumps?

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hello all, it has been a while since I have really posted, I have had some interested things to report, and I will as soon as I have enough time. For now, though I figured I had to let you guys know about my awesome find in 600 bucks worth of dumps....

So, at one of my pick up banks, a teller calls and says that someone has just dropped off a few hundred bucks in coin (i thought it was all denominations of coin)-but it ended up being 600 worth of halves. So they put my name on it, and i go in yesterday to pick them up. I am immediately dissapointed when I see about 10 different styles of CWR's, alot of them were so old I have never even seen a roll like that. I can only imagine what they found in these when they got them from wherever they got them, there were alot of uncirculated rolls, it was def. a collection or two they had rounded up from different banks.. So I buy all 600 worth, (knowing they are dumps, but I would rather take them to a different bank then my supply bank). *Someone tell me if they dissagree on being able to tell for sure they are a CRH'ers dumps... (there are several reasons I know they are dumps, and I would be willing to bet my truck on it). As I have mentioned in the past, my obsession makes me go through every single one even though I know nobody would leave silver behind right??? So I am about 10 minutes in, and out into my hand comes a roll, and in the middle there is the most beautiful sqared, silver edge that I immediately chuckled and thought, ahhhh, slick. Painted? or Plated? but to my astonishment, it was a 2005-s SILVER proof. :headbang:

I can only imagine one possible way this could happen first of all, I noticed several NIFC's, and a couple other clad NIFC proofs. So I am thinking that this CRH'er does not edge check, they dump them all out in their hand, and look at each coin's date, when they saw a 2005 s, they just tossed it back (like the other NIFC's and clad NIFC-S's without realizing it could be silver)... I know for me, if I had ever done that, I would hear it hit the other coin, and immediately dump it back out and save it, but I myself know that when Im in a hurry, I have had my wife or whoever is with me, hurry and go through each one to find the 1970 and earlier dates... This is defiantely something I never thought would happen, but I am sure glad it did. So now this brings up a new argument, do you loose more silvers by edge checking, or by date checking?????

Anyways, happy hunting guys.

Upvote 0

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you miss more coins by just edge checking. I have found 40%ers that look like copper on the edges. I always edge check first and then date check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread