I found a awesome error penny and I have a question...

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, I found this penny in a coin return slot at my drop-off bank:

Penny 2.jpg
Penny 1.jpg

Two questions:
1.) Even though the penny is missing the date, does it have any enhanced value due to the minting error?
2.) I go through 2-3 boxes of pennies per week. I occasionally will receive a box of brand new pennies (2015) from my pick up bank. I have never gone through these pennies for obvious reasons. However, I am wondering if I should go though these boxes as well to see if there are any minting errors.

What do you think?

Happy Hunting.

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THAT!!! ...is an incredible find! How amazing is that??!!

Me personally, cant be bothered with error Lincoln cents, as there are so many varieties, with little to no value.... whatever floats your boat as far as collecting goes....

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I only go for the obvious errors myself like the 55 dd, blank planchets, and obviously off-center strikes like yours. There's a way to get a date range but no real exact date for the coin. Definitely worth a couple bucks at least.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you get 2 cents for it, it's 100% pure profit.

Can't go wrong with that!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's worth a few bucks. You'd think it'd be worth more, but there are quite a few out there. Awesome find tho!
I've found a few bank cents from new boxes. A lot of unrolling though.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check sold listings on Ebay for similar errors, you may be glad you did. GREAT FIND

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
1) it's worth $1-$5

2) the problem with searching new cents is that other than obvious errors like you found - which are extremely few and far between - there is often little data on the new errors/varieties. You don't know what to search for, so it's mostly a waste of time.

My two cents

FT

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a one-in-a-million find. A guy could go a lifetime and never see one. Great catch.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, I found this penny in a coin return slot at my drop-off bank:

View attachment 1238061
View attachment 1238060

Two questions:
1.) Even though the penny is missing the date, does it have any enhanced value due to the minting error?
2.) I go through 2-3 boxes of pennies per week. I occasionally will receive a box of brand new pennies (2015) from my pick up bank. I have never gone through these pennies for obvious reasons. However, I am wondering if I should go though these boxes as well to see if there are any minting errors.

What do you think?

Happy Hunting.

My grandfather was the maintenance man for a small town Indiana bank for about 20 years in the 70's and 80's. At one point there was a bank promotion during which the bank handed out these error cents attached to a paper card with their catch-phrase typed on it. When the promotion ended, the bank literally threw away the leftover cards with these error cents attached to them. As maintenance man, my grandfather saw them in the trash and kept them. I have about 10 of them still attached to the original card. I'm guessing other banks at the time ran similar promotions, so this may be the source of your interesting find, congrats.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
This is a zinc cent, not a copper cent so it would have to have been minted after mid 1982.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions