I found a belt plate!! Well..... Sort of.... You be the judge!!

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all!! It's Relic season!! The temps are coming down and the crops are coming off. I got to go out not once, but twice this week (as it will probably be my last chance till DIV.

Saturday I went out with my friend Dustin to a field we've done well at in the past, and today didn't disappoint either. Nothing super fancy, but a good bit of lead and a couple flat buttons. The Merrill's are particularly cool.

Yesterday I went out with Keith, Tracy, and Wayne. Days like this don't come around too often! The bullets were just singing to me for some reason. You think there might have been some cavalry around? . This ground must be hard on buttons, only one came out with a front still on it. He burnsides were firsts for me, so thats fun. I've found an iron bore bush before, but the brass one was fun to find.

Everyone made some great finds, the weather was perfect, and we all had an absolute blast.

Oh, and about this "plate". It was my deepest find of the day, surrounded by relics, and we could see deep brass in the hole. Keith filmed me digging it, and we were both thinking " plate"!! Well, what came out of the hole was this hunk of brass that was, at one time, a sword belt plate but is now heavily melted. You can still make out the raised edge on the front border and one star lol. Keith found a keeper nearby, of course the keeper is in perfect shape. We found this right at the end of the day, so we need to go back and see if there is more of the melty one around. I went ahead and overlaid it on a complete sword belt plate for reference.

So what do you think... Count as a plate? Lol!!

Attachments

• IMG_20151017_212117.jpg
    IMG_20151017_212117.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20151021_233327.jpg
    IMG_20151021_233327.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20151021_223628.jpg
    IMG_20151021_223628.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 13

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds.
If belt , breast, or sword plates were made of ceramic, then that piece would just be another broken dish. lol
Good hunt

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice relics, and a bunch of them too.

It's a shame that the belt plate got melted. Bummer...

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment of finds.
If belt , breast, or sword plates were made of ceramic, then that piece would just be another broken dish. lol
Good hunt

LOL!

Very nice relics, and a bunch of them too.
It's a shame that the belt plate got melted. Bummer...

Thanks! Yea it was a heartbreaker, but it is what it is!!

View attachment 1225963 You can count it as a plate if i can count this as one :BangHead:

Oh man! That hurts!! But I'd say that counts in my book. I bet you didn't leave a speck of metal at that site. I'd have to camp out looking for the rest. Still, great find!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of lead, liking the carved one. Looks like the poor buckle really had met something bad to end up like it did. Lots of targets though and that makes digging fun in my books.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dang Good Hunt IMO, A bit of Everything (no pun intended).
Loving those Merrill's, Actually love all those carbine Bullets just never dug a Merrill .
Def, some Calvary in the area.

As for the Plate Piece "it is what it is".
Love seeing 2015 dug CW Items.:thumbsup:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh definitely, it counts 1-1/2 times. That's as cool or even cooler than a perfect one. It tells a story. Wow, congrats on a killer plate.

Steve

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE RECOVERY OF RELICS AND NEAT CS PEICE OR BUCKLE .

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine all of the uniforms, caps, clothes, leather accessories, knapsacks, etc... that were heavily battle damaged, bloodied, or lice-infested in the Union and Confederate camps. They ended up on the burn pile. You fortunate CW diggers are now finding the metal remnants! Very cool, Sub 8-)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those were some great hunts. Finds like that would be the highlight of the year for me no doubt. Good luck at DIV...I'd say you had some pretty darned good practice for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread